Replaced my ATI1300Pro, w a GeForce 210, Very Slow!

Ariana_FFD

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
OK Hi again! New issue, and I am hoping someone has an answer. I have an older Dell (*Optiplex 745) and I replaced the ATI 1300Pro GC with a new GeForce 210. I downloaded the latest driver (*from the nVidia tech in India, nice guy). So I have the current driver.

Sadly my system does not seem to want to play well with this new card. What would render in 20 min's with my ATI card, now takes an hour?!

This is so much slower then my ATI1300pro rendered! Perhaps I need to set up the card a bit differently? Roll back the drivers? Set the Precision controls differently? Now my puter makes this odd "clunking" noise as it renders as well!? Never did that either.

Any ideas out there? Is this because it was part of the del system and I need to go to the Dell site and update the Bios? Any thoughts at all???

Pentium 4
Win XP Pro
32 bit
4 GBs Ram
305 watt power supply

Your help is so very much appreciated!
Ariana

Hi Ariana,
I too am curious what you are trying to do with the card. I guess with XP I'd wonder if I need to update direct X. Did you completely remove the Catalyst drivers?
Here's what I'd do, XP is very bad about holding on to older drivers. I would first download and install CCleaner. I would remove all video drivers from the remove programs utility. The I would reboot the machine into safe mode. Once on the safe mode desktop, run CCleaner and remove all video driver remnants, including the cab files. Then reboot into windows but DO NOT let it install drivers for new VGA device. Cancel instead and run the latest GeForce drivers for your OS. Hopefully this should resolve any driver conflicts.

Ariana_FFD

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010

Currently I am doing my own Tiger Morph in Poser7.

But the list of programs Iuse is quite extensive
CS 2
CS 5 Extended
Waacom Bamboo
Painter 11
Artrage Pro
Poser 7 (*average render size is 4800 x 3600/7000 x 4600 @ 300DPI)
Poser Pro 2010 (*lager renders in that I use indirect lighting and other apps that poser7 does not use)
3dsMax
Hexagon
Carrara 8 Pro
Byrce 7 Pro
Vue 7 Pro

Plus a bunch of various Fractile programs and Texture Generators.

When rendering in poser 7 with the old ATI card I could render a large image of a fairly complex scene in a max of 4-6 hours. Using not only Raytracing, but some fairly complicated lights. A large scene has architechture, characters and hair (*which is always resource hogs), plus clothing.

The current scene is only a tiger. Bad mesh/high polygons, but only a single figure with no backgound or props.

Ariana

Ariana_FFD

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010

I render 3D imagery. I know that XP only uses up to DX9, and I had downloaded that. OK I have and use CCleaner all the time. I was darn near tempted to re-install thinking that the Dell Resource disc had left debris and also that catalyst controller myself! But honestly I am not that techy as far as removing things like registry files or other standard things. I will go through and check first in the add/remove programs to be sure that none of the ATI stuff is still in the list. If so I will post what I find as well as do a search.

Then I will follow these instructions. I have already safe guarded some of my important stuff on an external.
Be back shortly, and I want to thank you both!
Ariana

Ariana_FFD

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Ummm.... I know this is going to sound stupid, but how do I do Safe Mode? It seems I remember I use "Run..." and I don't know the rest. Then I could just be wrong. :( Please help with this?!

Ariana

Ah considering what you are trying to render, I would guess its time to give up that single core CPU and get a little more CPU horsepower. The P IV will bottleneck most any PCI express video card.
Obviously that doesn't solve your video card issues. On paper the Geforce card should be faster than the ATI card. However it looks as though you may have traded 256MB of GDDR3 memory for 512 MB of DDR2. Either way, the Geforce card I believe is a bit weak for your purposes.
Since you aren't playing games and are running XP, you likely aren't interested in the latest graphics cards. May I suggest returning your geforce card and invest in a HD4650/4670? These are quite powerful in the 50-60 dollar range, but definitely look for GDDR3 memory.
Again I understand that this doesn't help your current woes but I don't think the geforce 210 is a good solution for you. Think of it as a minor step up from integrated graphics. I think you should ditch it regardless of whether you are ready for a system upgrade.

You should have an option at startup for a boot menu. Its F11 on a few of my machines. Regardless, if you interrupt the boot by a hard reset (not ideal..) upon reboot it will offer to start in safe mode due to unsuccessful boot. I know its clunky but it works! :)

Ariana_FFD

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010

Unfortunately I did not negate the newest cards, they just did not fit in this darn Dell! The motherboard is, I was told, in there upside down? And the PCI slot is inverted. Limits the card size and shape. Is the HD4650/4670 a slim card? That appears to be the problem replacing the card. I upgraded the GC because i kept getting a warning that there was no Open GL support for my Vue 7Pro, plus I needed CUDA support for CS5 X. After installing the new GC this was no longer and issue.

So your help is extremely important to me. I assume that these cards are nVidia's? I will hop over to Newegg and check them out for shape and size.

I will be right back...
Ariana

Ariana_FFD

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010

Fan is new... Hmmm....
I will be back... going to newegg
Ariana

Ok. The HD 4650 is ati, so there is no CUDA support, which you know from your other card. There are half height cards available.

Jere's my stopgap recomendation. Return your card which we think is faulty, unbless you fuind a resolution to the pb. Look at the GT430, which is the most powerful geforce without a new PSU and is available in half height and 1 GB DDR3 for rendering power. Intially it will be $75 but there are rebates available/ Here's a few:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709+600007321+600038363+600083826&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=48&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Ariana_FFD

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
OK, this one is the DDR3... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150449&cm_re=hd4670-_-14-150-449-_-Product will it work in my case (*as in Dell case)? It looks good and I don't mind returning the other card. It seemed to run fine in the beginning. Or sounded like it before I actually started working with it actively. The case feels cool so I was sure it was not overheating. :pfff:

Here specs to my computer>
System Type: OptiPlex 745
Ship Date: 10/16/2006
Dell IBU: Americas

Quantity Parts # Part Description

1 JX145 Processor, 6600, 2.4, 4M, Core Duo-conroe, Burn 2
1 J9761 Assembly, Heatsink, Shroud Performance, MATRIX,SMITH,MINI TOWER..., 2.0
1 PR006 INSTRUCTION..., DEVIATE-TO-MSMT-L5.5, Pentium M Dothan, 1.8GHZ, 2 MEGB, 400FSB...
1 RG314 ASSEMBLY..., CHASSIS..., MATRIX,SMITH,MINI TOWER..., OPTI745, PWA INTEGRATED...
0 149DF INFORMATION..., PREPARATION MATERIAL..., DEVIATION..., PRECISION WORKSTATION..., INCREASE..., #2
1 5120P Cord, Power, 125V, 6Feet, SJT..., Unshielded
1 YH958 Mouse, Universal Serial Bus 2BTN, Lead Free, Entry, Logitech Black
1 DJ331 Keyboard, 104, Universal Serial Bus, United States, Entry Liteon, Black
1 MW733 Kit, Software, Overpack, WXPHSP2 Compact Diskette W/documentation, English
1 GJ501 Card, Graphics, X1300 Professional, OPGA4, Full Height
1 JH300 Assembly, Dvd+/-rw, 16, Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology Serial Ata, Black
1 WH522 Assembly, Digital Video Disk Drive, 16X, Serial Ata, Half Height, Philips, Black
2 U8622 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE..., 1G, 667M, 128X64, 8, 240, 2RX8
1 MH200 Hard drive, 250GB, S2, 7.2K, 8MG Unleaded, Samsung
1 WH304 KIT..., Documentation on Floppy Disk, Software, POWERDVD, 5.7
1 DC094 Assembly, Cable, Serial Ata Optical, Matrix, smith, mini Tower
1 2080U DOCUMENTATION..., AIRBORNE..., PFN34607528, RETURN...
1 65658 TECHNICAL SHEET..., REPL SYS, RETURN TO DELL...
0 46022 INFORMATION..., ENABLE GRN PC, MS-DO
0 92026 INFORMATION..., HYPERMEDIA..., READ ME, E-STAR EN
1 J9256 Kit, Cable, NVIDIA..., Video Graphics Adapter, Digital VideoInterface, Lead Free
0 3152C INFORMATION..., ZIP DRIVE ON 1ST IDE CTL
0 83535 INFORMATION..., PART, ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY ATTACHMENT PACKET INTERFACE..., DEVICE
1 CW851 TECHNICAL SHEET..., MICROSOFT..., MESSAGE..., VISC, PERSONAL COMPUTER..., WORLD WIDE...
0 83535 INFORMATION..., PART, ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY ATTACHMENT PACKET INTERFACE..., DEVICE
1 T4860 Guide, Product, Information Desktop, AMF/BCC
1 HJ478 Assembly, Panel, Filler, Black 3.5 Inch Form Factor, Matrix smith, mini Tower

There is actually a system upgrade to 2 Optical DVD/CD drives, 2 500GB HD's (*but one is a 1TB Seagate I installed),
Plus I now have 4 GBs SDS Ram.

This is actually only my second computer. My first was an Optiplex GX100. I have worked this 745 hard, and I guess I want it to be everlasting because I know it so well. :love:

Oh shoot it is 4am here. I am going to take a break, but please do not forget me! :D

Nite for now....
Ariana

Ariana_FFD

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010

I will keep this in mind and check in the later AM! :)
HugZ! and ThanX!!!
Ariana

tigrc

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Hmm, so you can only fit a slim card... You didn't tell me about that :) The GT 430 is the best option for you then. We did mention this card on the other thread and I wrote: "If you are not playing any demanding games, than this card is for you". I wish we didn't have this misunderstanding ;)

This is the best GT 430

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121397

It has the best reviews and is the smallest of GT 430s :)

By the way, I don't think the G 210 is faulty, it's just weaker than your previous card...

Sleep tight! :)

Yes, that is a nice card (HD 4670) but as I mentioned it won't do CUDA. Def check out the GT430.
The additional core processing of the CUDA enabled GeForce would definitely help in rendering with the CPU you have. Like the guy above mentioned, its quite possible the ATi card you had was better than the geforce 210.
THe fan I was referring to was the one on the video card assuming it has one. Its quite possible the Graphics card is overheating and it wouldn't heat the rest of the case, in fact its unlikely it would heat the case or other components unless it was a much bigger card. It simply doesn't draw enough power to heat the case. Your power supply on the other hand could easily heat the whole case.

So if the GT210 is not faulty, it isn't suitable for your needs and I think you'd be wise to look at the newer GT430.

Ariana_FFD

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Someone just shoot me and put me out of my misery! LOL! :pt1cable:

OK I am now looking at a system early. I was looking at Alienware, but ugh! the prices... I am just not that flush as of now. I found this... Opinions please?! :love:

I am looking at this>
http://www.dell.com/us/p/studio-xps-8100/pd
Because of my business I absolutely need the next day on site warrenty.

So Which is better?

NVIDIA GT220 GeForce
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130522&cm_re=NVIDIA_GT220_GeForce-_-14-130-522-_-Product
or
NVIDIA GTS240 GeForce
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130537&cm_re=NVIDIA_GTS240_GeForce-_-14-130-537-_-Product

This>
Intel® CoreTM i7 880 (3.06GHz/8MB cache)
or this>
Intel® CoreTM i7 870 (2.93GHz/8MB cache)

Has
Genuine Windows® 7 Professional 64-Bit

Up to 16GB3 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333Mhz - 4 DIMMS
(*I am going for 4-6 to start)

Up to 2000GB4 SATA hard drive (7200RPM)
(*for the main drive I would choose 1TB, for the secondary drive 2TB)
reccomend different?

Blu-ray Disc™ reader, burner and DVD +/- RW options available; Dual drive options available
(*I do disk to disc all the time, so I will choose 2)

Please help me to sort this out... if i am wrong to post here with this please re-direct my post to the correct area! :)

HugZ!
Ariana

I am so sorry Mantas! I wanted to get your Tiger done last night, this may also be that one of my programs is overbloated, I am going to reload it tonight.
HugZ!
Ariana

Ariana_FFD

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
I may just reload windows, as i have the nVidia driver set up saved on my "D" drive. buzznut, your help is invalueble as I was forced to start thinking outside the box on more reasons then the GC, being the issue. Mantas you never mis-informed me, I was unclear due to my ignorance. :sweat: It is so very hard when you know the software end of a puter, and are so remiss in knowing the hardware side. You were extremely helpful, and your knowledge is always valued... :hello:

:p Thinking about ya!
Ariana

tigrc

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
If you are still interested in that Dell PC:
GT 240 is better than GT 220, so 240.
i7 880 is better than i7-870, but that little performance gains is not worth the extra 300 dollars over the 870. You can also get the i5 760 as it is $100 cheaper and you will still have a good performance. I would get the 760.

You can get the 3GB RAM and then buy more if needed. 4GB of RAM in newegg costs around 50$, so 4+3=7 GB, where as if you bought 4GB instead of 3GB, you would pay 50$ for that 1GB premium, that's insane :)

Do you really need 1B of space for the main drive? 500GB is enough, I would think. Well, if you know you need that much space, then yeah, get it :)

The overall price with the dual drives would be $1,078.99 Is that OK with you? It would go down to as low as $700 if you bought all those parts separately from newegg and built it yourself (Or a friend could put the parts together, who knows how to do it) It could go even lower with all the combos and MIRs.
The desktops you mentioned in your e-mail... They all have integrated graphics in 400$ price range, so that is not a good option for your needs.

No worries about the confusing part. I was just curious why is it the way it is :D
Hug!
Mantas

Ariana_FFD

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010

Hey ck your e-mail I sent a pic! It is a leopard, but the girl looks good! LOL!
There is a link to newegg for some "off-brand" computers that actually look better then my current GX 745! Around $400.00! I may opt for that as a consideration. Here it is again> http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=10&name=Desktop-PCs I am not familiar with most of those brands, but hey, there might be a diamond in the ruff I am missing?! :p

I also elected to return CS5extended. For all the headache it has caused, I think I just might stay with CS2 for the time and worry later when Adobe gets thier collective poop in a pile and comes out with a version sans pain. I have been reading about all sorts of computer issues due to CS5ext! Maybe that is my whole issue too! Because my system worked fine (*except vue on the open gl issue) before I installed CS5ext.

Plus I have been studying and now understand the difference between a GPU and a CPU! And how this effects the GC and the system resources, capabillities!

I apologize to all for this going badly OT. :??: It is hard to stay on track when there is so much I don't understand. But I am learning (*slowly, but still :whistle: ).

HugZ!
Ariana

tigrc

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Oh, sorry about that. I downloaded the pick, but didn't look at it, as I was picking best parts for your new PC which would cost ~$850, but you would need to have a friend, who could put those parts together. Would you have a friend who could do that and the money for those parts? Those parts put together would blow you away ;D

The link you gave me redirects me to the whole list of all the available Desktop PCs in newegg. Could you provide me with a link of a specific PC?

By the way, that pic is sexy :D Good job!
Hugs!
Mantas

Ariana_FFD

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010

Well if you know Frazetta's work, it is a bit on the ample buxom beauty side of things... :kaola: I did not mean to offend... :??:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227301R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227290
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227291R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883241037
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103294
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883241036

Just to show a few, I don't recognize the names, but you might! I thought the specs look pretty good?! If you see something that looks better then what I have at a very low price, it could get me through until after tax time. Or lure me away from Dells. Newegg has an onsite next day buy up warrenty too!

As for assembling a system, I am not afraid of hardware. I was only being cautious about the power supply because I am not versed in electrical trouble shooting. I know a few techy guys around here, but it does feel like dealing with a used car salesman if you get my drift.

HugZ!
Ariana