Need advice on new setup

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
March 4, 2011 4:16:19 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am a frequent user of this site but this is my first post I wonder if you could help me with my new setup,
Any ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Motherboard:

LGA 1366
SATA 6Gb/s
USB 3.0
at least 2x PCIe x16
6 DDR3 ram slots

Maybe this ? EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
=============
Ram:
2 x 2 GB
Any suggestions ?
=============
CPU:
Core i7 around ~3.0 GHz

my choice: Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz
=============
PSU:
850 Watt and should should use lower power when when idle and should have breaks to avoid frying other components
my choice: RAIDMAX RX-850AE
=============
SSD:
64GB SSD with good speed
my choice: Crucial RealSSD C300
=============
budget is about USD ~850.
I intend to use this setup for some years therefore i want 6 slots of ram so i can upgrade and also >1 PCIe so i can go SLI when i want to.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.
p.s: I'll use my current 1GB NVIDIA 250GTS card for now

More about : advice setup

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
March 4, 2011 5:21:35 PM

Those are horrible choices. First, you're choosing to use dual channel RAM with a triple channel board. It'll run, but it will be slower than what you could get. Second, you've got an absoutely crappy PSU. RAIDMAX is the lowest of the low in terms of quality. Third, you're getting an extremely small SSD. Finally, you're not using a Sandy Bridge CPU. The new LGA1155 CPUs are cheaper than the old Intel CPUs or easily 30% more powerful. That and they can overclock to amazing levels.

Here's what I'd recommend:

CPU: i7-2600K $330
Mobo: ASRock P67 Extreme4 $150ish (wait for it to be re-released)
RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 9 $40 after rebate or G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 9 $100
PSU: XFX 850 $136 after shipping and rebate
SSD: None. Leave it out until you can afford a 120 GB (or larger model) and the new SSDs come out (like OCZ's Vertex 3)
m
l
March 4, 2011 7:05:09 PM

From what I've heard the LGA 1155 and 1156 are to be dicontinued and I want to be able to upgrade my CPU in the future without the need for a new mobo,
regarding the SSD I just need it to install windows and heavy progs like PS on it.
and I need a mobo with triple channel.

Suggestions ?
m
l
Related resources
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
March 4, 2011 7:42:22 PM

The LGA1155 is the NEW socket. It's replacing the LGA1156. The LGA1366 is also being replaced this year. You'll be able to upgrade the CPU on a LGA1155 board.

No one actually "needs" triple channel RAM. It doesn't do anything that special. What you need is a motherboard that supports the best CPU (the i7-2600K) and then a kit of RAM that is supported by that motherboard.

SSDs are fast, but you'll need more than 64 GB. You need to leave at least 20% of the drive empty for best performance and longevitiy. After installing Windows, you'll only have 30 GB or so left for other uses. That's not a lot of space. Any SSD that's under 120 GB isn't worth the cost simply because the size is so retrictive. Besides, a SSD doesn't really speed the system up that much. The machine only feels like it's faster. The faster SSD won't help you in the vast majority of applications.

Also, buying a SSD isn't a permanent choice. You can add one later. Even if you feel like you need a SSD, I'd at least wait for the new models to come out, as they're supposed to be out very soon.
m
l
March 4, 2011 8:49:23 PM

I searched on newegg and wikipedia and it seems that they are still a lot more mobos and 1155 chipsets to come. I'll wait until July to purchase a new rig could someone link me to a site other than newegg where i could check prices and specs ..etc. ?
m
l
!