Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Build
  • Components
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
March 4, 2011 7:15:06 PM

I've been trying to decide what components to build my new system around. I run 3ds max, VRay, Vue, Afterburn, FumeFX. In combination, these really stress my current system (Q9550 on Asus P5wdg2ws pro, 8g ram, quadro fx 4500, 300g velociraptor and a few other drives for storage and running sims). My goal for this system is to significantly reduce sim and render time. I like the quadro card, so I'll likely go with another that fits my budget ($2,500 for entire system)...I was thinking the Quadro 2000 is probably about the right amount for my budget.

The choices for mobo/cpu are my main concern - there a so many choices, and I want to get as much performance per dollar as possible. I've been looking at sites where you configure your pc online, and it seems in my price range I could go with an i7, or dual opterons, or dual xeons. So, I'm looking for some advice on what would be most suitable for these applications. There are likely other options worth considering too.

I'm not set on hard drive(s) either, but I'm a little more comfortable making a decision, but I'd like to hear what others may have to say about their experience, and get their advice.

Regarding power supply, I like the modular ones because that makes cable management a little easier, and I'm guessing around 850w should be sufficient.

Memory...I guess that will depend upon the mainboard choice? I'm hoping to get about 24g though.

I haven't started looking at cases yet, and cooling will depend on cpu, so I'll research that after choosing a cpu.

Thanks in advance for taking time to respond...

More about : advice components build 3ds max workstation

a c 90 B Homebuilt system
March 5, 2011 4:43:57 AM

Hello gyster;

Have you set a budget for this project?

If you fill out the *How To Ask For New Build Advice* you'll get a good start to answering all the standard questions that help us get you started.
m
l
March 5, 2011 2:06:57 PM

As I mentioned, my budget is about $2,500...I may go as high as 2,900, but would need to realize a significant performance gain for the extra 400. I'll check the link you posted. Thanks!
m
l
March 5, 2011 2:26:08 PM

Here's the template for asking for system advice...hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------

Approximate Purchase Date: Anytime - today?

Budget Range: Before / After Rebates $4000 - $5000 / $2300 - $2900 :)  (big rebates)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Modeling and animating using 3DS Max 2010, Vue, FumeFX, and Afterburn. No other uses.

Parts Not Required: Speakers, sound card, storage hdds, monitor.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Pricewatch.com

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: Full tower case

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

Additional Comments: My main goal is to reduce render/simulation times. I mentioned that I prefer Quadro graphics adapter, but would also consider an ATI card.
m
l