Giga's Z68 Models differences

MarianFrog

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Hello people! I have a few questions regarding some MOBOS from Gigabyte. Currently, I'm building a new PC and thinking of including a Gigabyte Z68. (The processor i'll be using is probably Intel i5@ 2500k). The thing is i really don't fully understand the differences between them and what is the correct choice.

Here is a list of GA Z68 Models http://www.gigabyte.com/microsite/279/images/mb-z68-models.html

Which is the correct choice? What's better having mSATA connector onboard (for example, the GA-Z68XP-UD3) or having DisplayPort (for example, the GA-Z68XP-UD3 or GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3).

I was told that in that range, getting an ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 it's also a very good choice for i5. Is that right? Is better than any Z68 from Giga?

And the last question: reading on the specs of supported RAM of Z68 Giga's mother is says: Dual Channel DDR3
2133/1333/1066 MHz. That it means i can't get 1600Mhz memories? Or i have to setup something in order to do that?

Thanks guys :)

Assuming this a gaming build, you can ignore DisplayPort, as you'll be using your discrete graphics card's output. You can also ignore mSATA, as you'll never need it. It's used for tiny notebook drives.

How much are you planning to spend on this thing? If you're doing major, major graphics hardware, it's probably worth getting a moderately expensive board for OCing (Z68X-UD3H), but otherwise the Extreme3 is probably the way to go. I think it's the best thing at its price point. Both boards definitely support 1600mhz RAM.

MarianFrog

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Thanks kajabla, the build is mainly for using design programs and video edition (programs like Sony vegas, Premier, 3dsmax) and working with HD. I'm planning on putting an upper-mid VGA like a Radeon 6790. So that you named GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 would be the way to go of all Z68 giga's MB in this case? It's reliable? On the other hand, i can get Extreme3 also. I'm not doing OCing. And the RAM, i should get 2x4GB 1.5V G.Skill Ripjaws or Corsair 1600Mhz right?

RAM sounds good.

In a few years, when the 2500K starts to feel balky, OCing will be like getting a whole new processor for free. If that's your attitude, though, I suppose you won't be pushing for the maximum possible OC (and you won't need to, anyway), so get the Extreme3.

MarianFrog

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Please, malmental if you want go ahead and tell me the differences between them. I'm deciding on the ASRock Extreme3, still. But if it's not that, it's the Giga, those are the brands i can get.

MarianFrog

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Wow, thanks for that. It's usefull info, i'll give it a better read later and decide between this i guess GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 and the ASRock.

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
had to run out for a minute but now I'm back.

with GIGABYTE LGA 1155 boards there are important things to look for in the naming that will tell you a lot.
letters X and A are important.
X being the higher end than the A (suppose to be anyways).
the number on the end stands for PCI expansion slots (UD7 for example).

Available 1st segment abbreviations:

If "A" appears after the chipset code, it has the 333 onboard acceleration (USB 3.0, USB Power X3, SATA 3.0 6 Gbit/s)
If "M" appears after the chipset code, it is a mATX board.
If "N" appears after the chipset code, it is a Mini-ITX board.
If "M" appears in front of the chipset number it means it is for an AMD processor, but has a non-AMD chipset.
If "MA" appears before the chipset number it is for an AMD processor and has an AMD chipset. ie: (GA-880GMA-USB3) -- This shows after the number, not before the number?
If "E" appears before the chipset number it has Dynamic Energy Saver as energy saving method. ie: (GA-EG45M-UD2H)

Available 2nd segment abbreviations:

E - If it appears as the first letter in the third segment (ie.GA-EG45-EUD2H), it means it has Easy Energy Saver feature.-- You said "third segment" but the heading (above) says "Available 2nd segment abbreviations." I'm confused again?
T - Only DDR3 SDRAM support (i.e: GA-MA770T-US3)
C - Both DDR2 and DDR3 SDRAM support
F - Includes FireWire port and header (i.e: GA-EG41MF-US2H)
No T or C abbreviations mean that the motherboard only has DDR2 SDRAM support.

Available 3rd segment abbreviations:

D (Durability) - Indicates that the motherboard uses only solid state capacitors.
U/UD (Ultra Durable 3) - Introduces 2 ounces of copper for both the Power and Ground layers.
USB3 - Indicates that the motherboard fetaured Ultra Durable 3 and USB 3.0 support
S2 (Smart, Safe) - Various features such as Q-Flash BIOS etc.
S3 (Smart, Speed, Safe) - Same as above, but includes overclocking features.
S4 (Silent Pipe, Smart, Speed, Safe) - Same as above, but uses heat pipe cooling.
S5 (CrossFire, Silent Pipe, Smart, Speed, Safe) - Same as above, but with CrossFire support.
Q6 (Quad BIOS, Quad Cooling, Quad E-SATA 2.0, Quad Triple Phase, Quad-Core Optimized, Quad DDR2 Slots) - Indicates quad-core optimization.

Available 4th segment abbreviations:

# (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 9) - Compares boards of same class. (i.e: GA-P55-UD3)-- I don't see a 4th segment?

Available 5th segment abbreviations:

R - 2 extra SATA 2.0 ports and possibly RAID support. May have FireWire port. May not have ATI CrossFire support. (i.e: GA-P35-DS3R)-- I don't see a 5th segment?
G - Solid capacitors for the CPU Volt Regulator Module.
H - HDMI port. Possibly Changing, Using it for DisplayPort if HDMI port standard (i.e.: GA-H55-USB3 has HDMI)
L - Probably "Lite". Fewer SATA 2.0 ports. No RAID support. No FireWire ports. No ATI CrossFire support. Heatsink cooling. (i.e GA-P35-DS3L). It could also indicate Gigabit LAN (as in GA-G31M-S2L, versus GA-G31M-S2C which has support for 10/100 Mbit/s Ethernet).

(update: L” / “C” / “E” / “G” means minor/customized spec change version)

P - Silent Pipe, RAID, Extra PCI Express slots, extra SATA 2.0 ports. (i.e: GA-EP45-DS3P)

I'm sorry, but I'm a little bit confused about the information. Maybe they are just typos? Anyway, I've indicated some of the areas I'm confused about by inserting comments into your orig post.

MarianFrog

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Is there a specific difference between the ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 and the GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 apart from the size? What about the GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3 or the GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3.

In this week i'll buy the CPU (i5 2500k) and the HDD (SATA3 WD 1TB Caviar Black). So i have one more week after all to decide :)

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
2/6/2012
I went to newegg (I set their Feedback option to start with the "Lowest Rated"), and then read way too many negative reviews about SERIOUS issues with this MB. Nearly 50% of the people who bought this MB had negative findings. Personally, I will opt for another manufacturer. I just don't know which one, yet. I was really hoping that, finally, my search for the optimum motherboard would be over!

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
I was referring to the board mentioned in the post immediately above my (previous) post, where it said:
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 = Gen 3

that's the one to get..
Here's a link to the page on newegg about that board. I know that nothing in this world is perfect, but if that many people all had many of the same kinds of problems, it has made me think twice. I want to avoid such problems (as they had). That's why I always read the "negative" reviews, rather than the positive ones.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128498&Tpk=GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3