Sign in with
Your question

I need help with the front panel connections!

Last response: in Motherboards
February 4, 2012 2:16:40 AM

I dont understand how my connections work,
there is the block that has the small ones connected, but then theres another one, on the side shown in the image it reads (top-bottom) PSW, PSW, PLED-,PLED+
Then on the other side; HDD+,HDD-,RSET,RSET
PLEASE help, i can connect everything to my board? motherboard is a Asus M4A87TD!
Thanks
oh and sorry the image is back to front :( 
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 156 V Motherboard
February 4, 2012 2:46:28 AM

Read the motherboard manual.

Polarity on the switches and speaker do not matter. For the LED's, the white lead is usually the negative lead.
m
l
February 4, 2012 2:54:58 AM

DGPILOT said:
I dont understand how my connections work, http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26740602/connetions%20copy.jpg
there is the block that has the small ones connected, but then theres another one, on the side shown in the image it reads (top-bottom) PSW, PSW, PLED-,PLED+
Then on the other side; HDD+,HDD-,RSET,RSET
PLEASE help, i can connect everything to my board? motherboard is a Asus M4A87TD!
Thanks
oh and sorry the image is back to front :( 

From the looks of your pic, maybe you started connecting things without reading them?

Unplug everything from the white piece. Now, plug the BIG black piece into the white piece: the pins should line up with the holes, as well as the written descriptions should match up with each other. You might have leftover pins that aren't used by the big black piece.

Then, once you have that settled, you need to look at the wires you have remaining, and match those to the descriptions given on the white piece.

If you have wires left over that you can't seem to find a place that matches on the white piece, check for pins next to where the white piece plugs in; sometimes there are additional pins nearby for cases that have a lot of do-dads on the front.
m
l
Related resources
February 4, 2012 2:57:54 AM

jsc said:
Read the motherboard manual.

Polarity on the switches and speaker do not matter. For the LED's, the white lead is usually the negative lead.

Ouch, Sorry Moderator, don't ever tell an audio engineer that polarity to a speaker doesn't mater. You'll give them a heart attack. You almost gave me a heart attack when I read that, yes, I'm an audio engineer. :pt1cable:  :lol: 
m
l
February 4, 2012 8:37:03 AM

thanks for all the replys, ill see if i can match them up, and the manual wasnt that helpful, it wasnt really geared towards this type of connection :/ 
m
l
February 4, 2012 8:45:35 AM

ok now im getting weird power switch behaviour?
m
l
February 4, 2012 8:54:34 AM

Im pretty sure the "big black block" must be for a different style of "white block" as after studying the black one more closely, my case doesnt have a power LED, and i can plug the HDD led in on its own, so i guess its ok then?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 4, 2012 8:58:58 AM

DGPILOT said:
Im pretty sure the "big black block" must be for a different style of "white block" as after studying the black one more closely, my case doesnt have a power LED, and i can plug the HDD led in on its own, so i guess its ok then?

What is your mobo model?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
February 4, 2012 9:23:35 AM

DGPILOT said:

You are correct. They stuck them all together to make it "easier" to plug in, but because all boards aren't laid out like that had to include the individual connectors for compatibility. if you look you'll see the same wires are going to the same connections. completely ignore the combined black connector and just follow the block Asus included.

That being said are you using a really old or weird case? I can't think of any header block that would one up with the large black connector.
m
l
February 4, 2012 9:49:01 AM

nikorr said:
What is your mobo model?

Asus M4A87TD
m
l
February 4, 2012 9:51:57 AM

unksol said:
You are correct. They stuck them all together to make it "easier" to plug in, but because all boards aren't laid out like that had to include the individual connectors for compatibility. if you look you'll see the same wires are going to the same connections. completely ignore the combined black connector and just follow the block Asus included.

That being said are you using a really old or weird case? I can't think of any header block that would one up with the large black connector.

It's not old, its a brand new model but im on a tight budget so its not a popular brand, its sorta made to be compatible with anything, thanks for your replys, it is much appreciated, escpecially to get a good answer within the day
m
l
February 4, 2012 9:52:17 AM

unksol said:

It's not old, its a brand new model but im on a tight budget so its not a popular brand, its sorta made to be compatible with anything, thanks for your replys, it is much appreciated, escpecially to get a good answer within the day
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 156 V Motherboard
February 4, 2012 10:29:26 AM

biscuitasylum said:
Ouch, Sorry Moderator, don't ever tell an audio engineer that polarity to a speaker doesn't mater. You'll give them a heart attack. You almost gave me a heart attack when I read that, yes, I'm an audio engineer. :pt1cable:  :lol: 

I would never say anything like that to an audio engineer, technician, or knowledgeable amateur when we were talking about loudspeakers.

In this forum and this thread, context and picture indicate that we are obviously talking about the small speaker or piezo-electric device that plugs into the motherboard to generate audible beeps as the system POST's or tries to POST. :) 

In this case, polarity does not matter.

DG, many cases (for example Antecs) with illuminated fans do not have power LED's.
m
l
February 4, 2012 1:06:44 PM

DGPILOT said:

My CoolerMaster Storm Enforcer came with the same connector headers pictured.
m
l
February 8, 2012 3:52:01 AM

jsc said:
I would never say anything like that to an audio engineer, technician, or knowledgeable amateur when we were talking about loudspeakers.

In this forum and this thread, context and picture indicate that we are obviously talking about the small speaker or piezo-electric device that plugs into the motherboard to generate audible beeps as the system POST's or tries to POST. :) 

In this case, polarity does not matter.

DG, many cases (for example Antecs) with illuminated fans do not have power LED's.

I was just giving you a little poopy. :pt1cable:  :kaola: 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 8, 2012 2:11:44 PM

The " black block " is a 10-1 connector ( it doesn't line up with the Asus "white block" )

Quite a few low end boards still use it.

I have one in "blue " that I use for breadboarding ( Came out of an old Dell, go figure )

m
l
!