Sign in with
Your question

Which hardware(s) will be damaged by instant shutdowns?

Last response: in Systems
March 4, 2011 9:11:02 PM

my comp sucks now it keeps on freezing when i play games, so i have to hold down the power button to restart it. which hardware will be damaged because of doing this? i am planning to replace all the possibly bad parts i have now
March 4, 2011 9:39:59 PM

The thing to fix first is the freezing while playing games.

This is happening because either:
your PSU is weak
you graphics card is overheating
your cpu is overheating
you overclocked something too far (usually means not enough volts or just too dang far)

Run gpuz (or some other program) to see what your GPU is doing, then run another tool like CPUID to see what your CPU is doing.

Did you change something - new memory, new graphics, and then these problems started?

A good quality power supply will not hurt your components by pushing the front power button, who can say for a poor one.
m
l
Related resources
March 4, 2011 9:50:15 PM

rolli59 said:
Start by testing your Memory http://www.memtest86.com/download.html
Then if you can test your GPU in a different computer. I have never lost a computer component on a hard reboot.

i dont know how to install that its not a regular program installer. any alternative to memtest?

vvhocare5 said:
The thing to fix first is the freezing while playing games.

This is happening because either:
your PSU is weak
you graphics card is overheating
your cpu is overheating
you overclocked something too far (usually means not enough volts or just too dang far)

Run gpuz (or some other program) to see what your GPU is doing, then run another tool like CPUID to see what your CPU is doing.

Did you change something - new memory, new graphics, and then these problems started?

A good quality power supply will not hurt your components by pushing the front power button, who can say for a poor one.

my psu is corsair 750w
my graphics card becomes 81 celcius on load
my cpu 22 celcius on load (i got a nice fan for it)
i didnt overclock anything

this freezing problem started happening when i ran a intense program which caused my comp to freeze. since then, my comp has been always freezing whenever i started playing games. the funny thing is. my comp always freezes ONCE when i start playing a game. but after that, for the rest of the day, i dont freeze anymore even playing games. so i always freeze once a day.
m
l
March 4, 2011 9:52:23 PM

Have you installed the latest drivers for your card?
m
l
March 4, 2011 9:52:35 PM

What is your GPU?
have you uninstall-ed the "Intense" Program?
m
l
March 4, 2011 10:05:28 PM

rolli59 said:
Have you installed the latest drivers for your card?

no but i highly doubt thats the reasoning behind the freezing

HeyImGodly said:
What is your GPU?
have you uninstall-ed the "Intense" Program?

gtx 280
yes, i only ran it once and once it caused it to freeze i stopped using it.
m
l
March 4, 2011 10:08:09 PM

Drivers can get corrupt on hard reboots and freezing! It is more likely than hardware failure!
m
l
March 4, 2011 10:09:06 PM

rolli59 said:
Drivers can get corrupt on hard reboots and freezing! It is more likely than hardware failure!

ok ill get the latest drivers then
m
l
March 4, 2011 11:03:45 PM

rolli59 said:

updated drivers, played sc2, froze within 2 mins.

still need help
m
l
March 4, 2011 11:09:15 PM

Maybe it is windows that is corrupt! If you do a clean install then if it fixes the problem you will know that it was a software issue, if not hardware. Repair install might be enough and will not wipe out your data.
m
l
March 5, 2011 12:29:55 AM

80 degrees C is pretty damn hot... that might be a problem.
m
l
March 5, 2011 10:30:22 AM

81°C is hot but the max temp is just over 100°C. The card should not be the issue unless something is wrong with it but I doubt it being the issue because it would then happen every time a game is played.
m
l
!