Sign in with
Your question

Sabertooth 990fx

Last response: in Motherboards
February 4, 2012 5:09:41 AM

Hi i have just installed the sabertooth 990fx motherboard ,and FX amd 4100 quad-core processor into my silverstone case ,the ram i have used is DDR3 2048 MB 667 mhz corsair and the cooling system is the Coolermaster v10,which is quite a beast ,but cools very well ,but i cant help thinking the computer seems very slow ,for what i thought was going to be a really good upgrade ,i have to say i am not brilliant with computers ,but is there any thing in the bios that maybe i should be changing ,as it appears most of the settings are on auto ,i would be very grateful for any advice ,very best wishes Brian. :hello: 

More about : sabertooth 990fx

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 125 V Motherboard
February 4, 2012 5:17:25 AM

There's really nothing you can change in the BIOS that would make an appreciable difference in the apparent operating speed of the computer. In other words, it is what it is.
February 4, 2012 6:13:38 AM

What makes you think it is slow?

What OS are you using? Did you get OEM Windows, or do you have a retail (bogged down) version? For that matter, are you using a plain-old hard drive? If you're running 7 or Vista, what is your Windows Experience Index?

Abeki is right, the BIOS isn't really going to improve the overall speed of the computer, except for booting. Typically, what's going to be affecting the speed of the computer is Processor, RAM, and programs running (along with other factors). If, for example, you just did a hardware upgrade, but left your old windows hard drive in with hundreds of programs loading on start-up, it'll run slow.

I also noticed that you're running 2GB of RAM, which may not be ideal depending on your version of windows you are using. You don't mention a graphics card: do you mind giving your full system specs? Depending on your graphics card, if you have a 256 MB, that means that the real RAM/Processor is probably needing to take over some of the work.

I'm running a Sabertooth 990fx with a Phenom II x6, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 6950 Radeon, 120 GB Crucial HD, and I have a WEI of 7.2 (Hard drive is my lowest score, 7.5 for memory/cpu, 7.9 for graphics). I have yet to feel "this is slow"
Related resources
February 4, 2012 8:10:32 AM

corrinavatan said:
What makes you think it is slow?

What OS are you using? Did you get OEM Windows, or do you have a retail (bogged down) version? For that matter, are you using a plain-old hard drive? If you're running 7 or Vista, what is your Windows Experience Index?

Abeki is right, the BIOS isn't really going to improve the overall speed of the computer, except for booting. Typically, what's going to be affecting the speed of the computer is Processor, RAM, and programs running (along with other factors). If, for example, you just did a hardware upgrade, but left your old windows hard drive in with hundreds of programs loading on start-up, it'll run slow.

I also noticed that you're running 2GB of RAM, which may not be ideal depending on your version of windows you are using. You don't mention a graphics card: do you mind giving your full system specs? Depending on your graphics card, if you have a 256 MB, that means that the real RAM/Processor is probably needing to take over some of the work.

I'm running a Sabertooth 990fx with a Phenom II x6, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 6950 Radeon, 120 GB Crucial HD, and I have a WEI of 7.2 (Hard drive is my lowest score, 7.5 for memory/cpu, 7.9 for graphics). I have yet to feel "this is slow"

Hi and thanks for your reply ,i am comparing it against a much less spec ,with ddr2 ram and a conro dual core 3.ghz processor and a Gigabyte G31M-ES2L motherboard,4 gb ram,AND 1 GT 8800 0C GRAPHICS CARD with 512mbGDDR3 memory and a wdc wd 500AAALS-00JB1 hard drive , . any ways here are a few more details ,of what i have now .

My Graphics cards are both GT 8800 OC 512 mb mem ,MY Windows is windows 7 premium ,sorry if i confused you but i have 8gb of Ram ,i hope this helps ,i know the hard drive gives a low reading of 5.9 and will be upgraded shortly ,but i hoped that this new set up would really get a move on ,
February 4, 2012 1:03:18 PM

Scarrabi, your pictures you have on your photobucket are extremely small. Quite literally, when I download them, they're being downloaded as 300x320 resolution pictures... not even as big as a credit card. It's really hard to read anything on them. Could you upload higher-resolution images?

1. Have you gone to the ASUS website and made sure you've got the most up-to-date BIOS and Drivers?

2. Have you done the same for each piece of hardware in your equipment?

3. What does it do, exactly, that makes you think it is slow? Do programs take a long time to load? Are you getting jittering/bad framerates in games? Right now you're being really subjective; and most of the scores on your WEI aren't going to be affected much by replacing the MOBO or the processor ( the only thing that will, really is the processor score).

4. When's the last time you've done a defrag?
February 4, 2012 1:36:39 PM

Hi and thanks for all the help ,
i bought the motherboard from overclockers uk ,where they assured me that the bios was up to date and it would boot up using the fx 4100 ,as there was a problem with updating the bios ,a number of folk had wrote in complaining of this ,which is why i had made a point of asking overclockers before i bought the motherboard , so when i arrived home ,sure enought the motherboard made no attempt to boot ,and i had to return the board to overclockers where they updated the bios using another processor i beleave , and on we go ,
I think i have spent enough time with this motherboard ,and will remove it and put it down to the worst board i have ever used ,I have used Gigabyte boards that were awesome ,Abit that would do everything apart from install them selves ,but Asus ,not for me ,thanks thou for the advice ,best wishes Brian.
February 4, 2012 3:37:20 PM

Actually, I didn't catch at ALL that you had an FX processor. Right there is your problem.

The AMD FX (Bulldozers) are not upgrades to the Phenom II processors, in my opinion. If you read a lot of reviews and AMD's excuses, it seems that Windows 7 just doesn't use the processors the way AMD wants them to. Even after Microsoft released hotfixes for the problem.

According to the benchmark tests, unless you are doing things that are heavily multi-threaded, even the FX-8150 is barely better than the Phenom II x6 1100t. I remember the same results going for the FX-4100, that it was sometimes outclassed in benchmark tests by dual core processors, when doing work that wasn't thread-intensive.

I hate to say it, but you're focusing on the wrong part for "speed' of your computer. That's Processor/RAM. Unfortunately, in your case, you have a Bulldozer processor, which are barely better than the Phenom II series. In fact, in a lot of cases, you actually end up with situations where the Phenom II processor with less cores outperforms the Bulldozers, like the X4 outperforming the FX-6100, and the X6 outperforming the 8100. And this is coming from an AMD fanboy. There is no real reason to go to the FX/Bulldozer architecture; you pay extra money for... hardly anything.

You're not going to notice an increase in performance by swapping out the board.
February 5, 2012 7:43:02 AM

Hi well thats that then corrinavatan,lol
and i blamed the motherboard , i had screwdriver in hand and a strong will to rip the heart out of my failing computer ,but saved by the bell for which i thankyou ,because this headed me off in another direction ,so i went over to raid ,and the results were excellent ,i managed to play Battlefield and got a 3dmark6 score of 16000,or close on that score ,lol,any way much much better ,not so many problems ,i am thinking of installing a GTX 560TI DIRECT CU 11 ,or some thing similar ,and one of the fast drives they now sell ,thanks again my friend ,very best wishes Brian. :D 
!