Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card for a crap comp

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 30, 2010 2:51:20 PM

ok, well i have a pretty old computer with a 2.6 GHz Pentium 4 processor and 1 gb ram.
I currently have a GeForce4 Ti 4200 graphics card and I'm looking for a new one but since the rest of my hardware's pretty crap, i just want something that is a bit better and will be able to sustain more.
December 31, 2010 4:40:29 AM

it doesn't. anything else?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2010 4:44:20 AM

What motherboard do you have?
December 31, 2010 7:26:18 AM

Tamz_msc said:
What motherboard do you have?

dunno :p  it doesnt say on it and the whole setup is made by a friend, who i wont be able to get a hold of for a while.
December 31, 2010 8:35:54 AM

well i m pretty sure its an AGP 4x or 8x slot
the mordern gfx card wont work on that slot so u can get anything in geforce 7 or 6 series if its still available
December 31, 2010 11:10:14 PM

ok so according to that program i have an agp slot and 6 pci's but there's only six slots on my motherboard: 5 beigish and 1 blue.
a c 172 U Graphics card
January 1, 2011 3:22:51 AM

I have yet to find a Geforce 4 TI that isn't agp, if you want something to just limp along then I suggest a 6600gt agp or better.
January 1, 2011 8:16:59 AM

i think the blue one should be the place where u put ur current graphics card. But mostly AGP slots are brownish or red in color i think ?
a c 172 U Graphics card
January 1, 2011 1:34:28 PM

The color doesn't matter, agp slots stand out compared to any other slot that you will find even on ancient proprietary hardware. The agp slot is usually the very top slot on the board and it can only be used for a graphics card due to the nature of the slot. Since you are using a geforce4 the slot is likely a 1.5v slot meaning that it can use any modern agp card out there providing the psu is at least 250w or better. I am a collector of hardware and after the years of tinkering, building, and researching I would know that you can use a wider verity of cards out there. If you are looking for something to just play old games and SD video content even a 6200 agp or a 9700 pro would do just fine. However look no lower than a 6600gt agp or a 2400 pro agp for a upgrade. The DX10 ati cards for agp are the best in the long run as they still have decent driver support and can run codecs on the card instead of the cpu for HD content.
January 10, 2011 1:55:28 AM

hey I found a graphics card but I was told that I needed to reinstall windows on it... do I? As I said, the rig was made by a friend and I don't have the disk.

EDIT: the card was a 1GB 4670 ATI radeon. It will run right?
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 2:58:56 AM

StrangeMaestro said:
hey I found a graphics card but I was told that I needed to reinstall windows on it... do I? As I said, the rig was made by a friend and I don't have the disk.

EDIT: the card was a 1GB 4670 ATI radeon. It will run right?

If it's one of the rare AGP versions of the card, the majority of them were built for PCIE slots.
a c 172 U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 2:22:22 PM

loneninja said:
If it's one of the rare AGP versions of the card, the majority of them were built for PCIE slots.

I you want to try for a very very rare agp cards then look no further than the 3870 agp and the rarest of any card produced and the most highly valued is the 3DFX Voodoo 5 6000 valued at over $2k usd on the second hand market. I know agp very well and am a collector of cards.
a c 355 U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 5:21:33 PM

If you are referring to the HD 4670 1GB card over at newegg.com, then yes they do have an AGP version selling for around $124. Maybe if it is currently on sale.

It's better than your current card, but since you only have a P4 2.4GHz and only 1GB of system RAM, it will be severely bottlenecked. If you are gonna spend that much on a card then you might as well toss in another 1GB of RAM onto your motherboard.

I think a HD 4650 is more suited for your system along with an additional 1GB of RAM.
!