What's broken?

bluntflux

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Hello there Tom's hardware.

I've recently purchased a variety of computer parts, and through assembling them last night, i came across a problem.

My specs are:

Asus Gtx 550 ti Graphics card
Asus M5a97 (Pro) motherboard
Coolermaster 650w Power Supply
AMD fx 4-Core Processer
2 x Corsair 4Gb Ram
Seagate 500gb Hardrive

and a really old cd drive :)

I would like to know what the solution is to the problem;

No Signal received through any ports from the Graphics card.

1) I know it's not the Monitor, i've tested it with a laptop and my friends laptop AND his computer, not the monitor.

2) I've tried every possible combination of putting the RAM in the holders, 1 at a time, 2 at a time, 1 on every holder, other 1 on every holder, 2 on each holder.. and continued, no success.

3) all the cables are defiantly plugged in. I've tripled checked, and no result, I also tried a 450w Q-tec power supply just to check working order of computer, everything was working fine, all LEDs on, All fan's running - GPU CPU and external. No result.

After doing research into the problem, i found out about BIOS beeps? I can't find the speaker on my motherboard, so I have no idea to check for any beeps. BUT i have found at the bottom right of the motherboard, next to the power button pins, a group of 4 tiny pins in a line, is that what i need to do to test the motherboard? by a speaker and plug it in there? i'm a noob sorry :)

4) While writing this post, i just decided to check my CPU, i didn't bend any of the pins, and the thermal paste is perfectly spread in a circle, with a thin layer.

I Have done pretty much everything i can, and i went through a list of like 15-16 steps on a website last night, but i can't remember what it is.

Pleaseee help :( This is my first computer i've ever bought myself and it's annoying and upsetting that it's not working

Thanks Luke.

SuddenlySlow

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
This may sound silly to ask but did you connect power to the 6 pin PCI plug on the card or just install the card into the PCI slot? I ask this because I have seen a similar question from a friend on their first build recently.

corrinavatan

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Your motherboard should have come with a speaker that you can plug it into. If you're lucky, you could borrow the speaker from your friend's computer and plug it into yours, assuming the pin positions are correct.

The ASUS 550 ti is powerful enough that it has power connectors to be connected to your powersupply. As SuddenlySlow said, did you connect the power cord to it? If you did, when you turn it on, do you feel air coming out of the vent in the back of it?

bluntflux

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
In answer to Abeki -

I tried the card in both slots.

To Suddenlyslow -

I plugged in the power before i turned the computer on for the first time, and this had no visual result. Sorry for not mentioning it.

To Corrinavatan -

I tried using my friends computer's on board speaker, unluckily the pin's weren't aligned like you said they may not be. But yeah, i did think that the GPU (Asus 550 ti) would have been fine with the coolermaster 650w PSU but i did discover something while trying different combinations of trouble shooting.

When the power supply was connected to the gpu, there was air coming out the fan, but when I took it out and put it in the other pci slot, i forgot to put the power back in and there was still air coming from the fan, does this mean anything?

I did try the same thing without putting the 6 pin into the gpu on my original PCI slot and i got the same result, fan was spinning, air was flowing... Through further research in the last day, i'm leaning towards thinking that there may be a motherboard problem?

Thoughts???

bluntflux

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Could there be a problem, that maybe something isn't updated properly?

All parts are brand new and so I don't know if any need updates to make each one work in unison :)

Any tech-maniacs know if this could be a possible solution?

mmetukka

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
I would try getting the latest BIOS-update for the motherboard from the ASUS's site.
It helped me, when my coputer didn't boot at all because of videocard not suitable with BIOS-settings. And it didn't let me to BIOS at all, when videocard was on.

Metu