Computer resets itself after computer is turned on

lonewuhf

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2008
Last night I installed a new motherboard, processor, and ram but used all of the other components from my last build. Since then sometimes when I turn the computer on it will restart itself within a few seconds. It doesn't happen every time, but it does happen pretty frequently. During the startups when it resets itself I have nothing that appears on my monitor. Sometimes after the restart it will boot up properly, sometimes it will restart itself again, and sometimes it will seem to boot up properly but nothing ever appears on my monitor. The computer will stay running until I turn it off manually in this instance, but nothing will ever appear on the screen. Sometimes when it resets itself I get the message that the overclock failed and to please fix the problem in the BIOS. So I enter the bios, reset the OC settings to default and usually it will boot up, sometimes it still wont.

I'm thinking it may be a power problem, but haven't been able to test it really. I unplugged everything except ram, main HDD, and GFX card but it still does it. Another thing to mention, the motherboard has an 8pin connector, but my PSU only has a 4. The manual shows that a 4 is ok, but maybe this is the problem as well? I will be buying a 12V molex to 8 pin adapter tomorrow. My computer specs are now:

CPU: Intel 2600k
Motherboard: Asus P8P67
RAM: 8gig running at 1600
CPU cooler: Stock for now until the new one comes in the mail.
Video Card: ATI 5870
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts 650w
Hard drive(s): Main is an 80g SSD, then 2 others that are 650g and 1T
Operating System: Win 7 64bit
Case: Antec 900

I already went through the checklist on the forums but none of those were the issue that I could detect. Any help would be great!

CopaMundial

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Were you able to get the system operating normally prior to any clock changes?

Also on the power supply connections, do you have all of these shown on this image:
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/connectors.php?ProdID=27650
I believe that the one labeled "1 x 8 Pin EPS 12V" is the one you want.

When you connected the 4-pin 12v power connector into the 8-pin socket on the motherboard, which side of the connector did you use? I believe there is a photo showing how which pins to use for 4-pin connector on page 2-40 of the manual (available for download here if you don't have it on hand atm)
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=Qx3PdnZI9Pq9BcIU

lonewuhf

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2008
I do not have a 1x8 pin connector with this PSU. When I connected the 4 pin I plugged it into the left 4 (it actually won't go in any other way because of the layout of the pins) which is where the manual said to plug it into anyway.

lonewuhf

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2008
Ok, so it's got two 4 pin connectors on that fit together to make an 8, however when put together in any configuration they don't fit into the 8 pin on the motherboard.

The 4th and 8th pin on the connector are the wrong shape.