Closed

Amd Phenom ii 955 and Asus m4a785-m problems

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Phenom
Last response: in CPUs
June 4, 2011 2:29:53 AM

Hello,

Im sort of a newb at this so I was wondering if anyone could help.

I upgraded my cpu to a AMD Phenom ii 955 but when I do anything that is a heavy load, i.e gaming or downloading and installing a windows update, I get a BSOD error. Sometimes it doesn't even blue screen me, It will just shut down and restart. I've tried updating my bios to the latest and reinstalling windows 7. Both didn't do anything to help. But when I did switch my ram to the dimm a2 and b2 slots, my game did allow me to run for about 30 mins before it blue screened me again. Unfortunately, those screens disappeared on me too quick to catch the error code.

Is there a compatible issue with my set up? I also read somewhere that changing the voltage somewhere in the bios to my ram or changing the speeds might help. But I'm a newb at this and dont know exactly how to do it and dont want to screw anything up. Any help is appreciated!

My current setup is:

Motherboard: Asus M4A785-M
Cpu: AMD Phenom x4 9150e
Ram: 2 x 2g G Skill DDR2 800 PC2-6400 (F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ)
Videocard: ATI Radeon HD 5670
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 500g
PSU: ThermalTake TR2 500w

It works fine until i try to upgrade my cpu to the Phenom ii 955.

Thanks again

More about : amd phenom 955 asus m4a785 problems

June 4, 2011 4:01:50 AM

Is your bios set to default values??? Sometimes RAM settings tend to incompatible, try fiddling around with them
Score
June 4, 2011 4:10:12 AM

Yup. When I put the Cpu in, I selected load default settings. What RAM settings am I supposed to look for? I don't want to screw anything up to the point it's irreversible.
Score
Related resources
June 4, 2011 4:20:19 AM

Look around in the BIOS and change the RAM settings to manual and check whether the parameter match to that of your RAM. Dont change the voltages, just check the latencies as of now...
Score
June 4, 2011 4:27:56 AM

Ok, I'll take a look around. Thanks for the help!

If anyone else has any useful tips for me, I'm all ears! ... or eyes since I'm reading.
Score
June 4, 2011 4:37:56 AM

When I said parameters I meant the latencies :) 
Score
June 4, 2011 5:21:06 AM

1. Have you updated to the latest bios?

2. Your ram is rated @ 1.8v to 1.9v, I would set it to 1.9v
Score
June 4, 2011 12:20:46 PM

Well, I changed my CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS to 5-5-5-15 which is what my ram are but it didn't do anything. But I did get somewhat of a picture of when the BSOD came up from the game and got

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFF8BC0AD4D110, 0x0000... cant see the rest

*** atikmdag.sys - Address FFFFF88004A29105... cant see the rest of that either

So I googled the atikmdag.sys and seems that it was a ati driver problem so I reinstalled Catalyst and when reinstalling got another BSOD but couldn't get the picture of the error. After the restart I was able to get into Catalyst and wipe my old driver and reinstall the driver. I tried the game again and got this on the BSOD

On the top it said

MAXIMUM_WAIT_OBJECTS_EXCEEDED

Then the bottom

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000000C

And just now when I plugged my phone to the computer, so I could upload the photos, it BSOD on me again when it was installing the device to the computer

I don't know what is wrong with it but it is definitely happening with the new cpu because I reinstalled my old cpu and was able to play games for hours without any issues.

Score
June 4, 2011 12:35:13 PM

did you download the latest drivers or used the ones from the ASUS disc??? I'd recommend you install the latest drivers from the Asus website, not just the catalyst

If that does not work remove on your RAM sticks and let the system run with 2 gigs of RAM and then test its stability, if that goes good follow this http://creativedaze.net/?p=24

And the BIOS needs to be latest to support an AM3 Processor, make sure it is.
Score
June 4, 2011 12:44:10 PM

I downloaded the ati drivers from the site. When I tried to look for my specific model on their site, it wasn't listed. But when I chose from their drop down menu, it gave me the 11.5 version which was the same as my girlfriends but she has a 5770.

I also tried changing the volts to 1.9 and still nothing.
Score
June 4, 2011 1:20:44 PM

My bios is the latest from the Asus site. version 1006.

I removed 1 stick of RAM and loaded up the game and everything working but then the last time I moved the sticks from a1 and b1 to a2 and b2, everything worked fine for about 30-45 mins and then BSOD me again.

Do you think its the cpu conflicting with my ram thats causing all of these problems?

The first time I installed the Phenom ii 955 cpu, my WEI scores on my graphics went to 6.9 when it was a 7.0 with my old cpu. Then I updated the drivers to the videocard and it went back to 7.0. Also, when I updated my bios, my ram scores went up from 7.3 to 7.5. Is it normal to jump around just from updates?
Score
June 4, 2011 2:35:06 PM

Ok, since taking out 1 ram stick and leaving one in the a1 slot, I was able to run a game for a little over an hour before the game froze and windows shut it down. But I didn't get the BSOD so it might be a good sign.

I followed what your link said but when I restarted the comp, the "max memory" setting got put back to zero but it still had the check in the box. I ran the game again with that setting and it froze and shut down the game again but within minutes. Again, no BSOD.

Could all this be because of a faulty cpu?
Score
June 7, 2011 1:47:49 PM

No one knows anything?

I got Whocrashed to read my dump files and this was my last 2 dumps

On Tue 6/7/2011 5:00:22 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\060611-17035-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x71F00)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFF80003DD2C28, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88003DBB670)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 6/7/2011 5:00:22 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tunnel.sys (tunnel+0x3670)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFF80003DD2C28, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88003DBB670)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tunnel.sys
description: Microsoft Tunnel Interface Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

I don't know what any of this stuff means but it seems that the ntoskrnl.exe is usually the root of the problem. I just reinstalled windows 7 again so I can't pull up the dumps from before.
Score
June 7, 2011 2:06:45 PM

It just crashed again after opening 3 or 4 windows...

On Tue 6/7/2011 2:00:39 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\060711-16848-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0x745C)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800698C4E0, 0xFFFFF88003E0A45C, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys
product: AMD driver
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: atikmpag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Tue 6/7/2011 2:00:39 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl!TdrResetFromTimeout+0x214)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800698C4E0, 0xFFFFF88003E0A45C, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
description: DirectX Graphics Kernel
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.
Score
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2011 2:51:00 PM

have you tried memtest?
Score
June 7, 2011 9:13:14 PM

I havent tried that. I did a memory diagnostic from windows and that came up clear so I thought it would be good. Also because all the problems only happen when the new CPU is installed.

I did take out my videocard right now and hooked it up to my onboard video and windows updated my drivers and now I'm in a continuous boot loop... It just keeps rebooting after it shows "starting windows".

I'm getting a headache lol
Score
August 24, 2011 10:11:50 PM

you have a 125 watt cpu with a 95 watts mobo
Score
a b à CPUs
August 24, 2011 10:56:55 PM

muteddisk said:
you have a 125 watt cpu with a 95 watts mobo

No, that board supports 125.

My feeling is that this is a software/OS issue related to the change in cpu or a problem with the memory controller in the cpu.

Score
May 23, 2012 1:43:47 AM

i have the same board and you are right it will support up to 140v and supports the 965 which i have
Score
May 25, 2012 4:20:29 AM

I'm still having the problem, it's just not happening as often. It seems to happen when I leave the computer on idle not doing anything. After a few hours of just sitting there, it'll just restart itself. Sometimes it will BSOD when playing games. And sometimes my screen will go completely grey and freeze when watching YouTube videos but updating the video drivers again seem to have fixed the YouTube problem.

Whenever it restarts, I check WhoCrashed and it tells me the same problem everytime...

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\052112-21886-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x4B09BC)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8004D938F8, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

I've used Prime95, Memtest86, and Furmark. All came out fine except one time I ran a Memtest right after I got a BSOD and there were some errors on a stick of ram. But I retested it 2 more times after and it comes up fine. I've also changed out the powersupply and it didn't fix the problem.

I'm thinking it's either the motherboard, harddrive, or video card. Or it could just be drivers after all but I've updated all my drivers.

Any ideas?
Score
May 25, 2012 4:21:24 AM

Or it could a problem with my Windows install even though I have done a fresh install twice on it before.
Score
!