$1500 Gaming Computer, First build

narayanjr

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as more 1155 MOBO become available

Budget Range: 1500 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Internet, Movies, Word processing

Parts Not Required: Mouse, Keyboard, maybe PSU, DVD/CD drive, OS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, tigerdirect.com, im open to alot as long as i feel comfortable with their websites.

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, Other than that Im open to suggestions, most likely AMD/ATI video card, but im open to nVidia.

Overclocking: Probably, but not extensive

SLI or Crossfire: Eventually, maybe now depends on opinions

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920 x 1200, or any resolution close that doesnt bump me up to more expensive monitors.

Additional Comments:
CPU: Intel core i5 2500k

I am wondering for Graphics cards if it is worth it to crossfire two lower ones now, or just get a high end one and crossfire later when needed.
I am looking at either crossfire Radeon 6850, or just getting Radeon 6970 . This is also dependent on whether or not my OCZ ModXtreme 600W PSU can handle running two 6850s. Also can it handle running One 6970? Two 6970s? (I doubt this one). Also what are your thoughts on performance of 2x6850s vs 1x6970? Based on my math my PSU is 42Amps on the 12V. After looking at all of the certified PSUs on AMDs site I found 1 that was certified to run 2 6970s with a 600W supply, This Supply

Cases:
I have it down to 3 different cases but im still open to suggestion on cases.
Storm Scout
Storm Sniper
HAF X

MOBO:
Not many out right now due to the chipset recall so I am kind of stuck right now.

Memory:
I havent looked yet as I dont know what type I will need. I am assuming ill need, DDR3 1333 but I do not know for sure.

HDD:
Probably going to be a 1-2 tb WD Black or Green. Im planning on getting a SSD also so is it really worth it to go for the Black drive over the slower green one?

SSD:
Have done almost no looking yet, not really sure what to look for. Should I be going for MLC or SLC. I am thinking with my price range most likely MLC. Also I have seen that they are projected to last 7-10 years, how is that life span compare to that of a normal HDD? I am not looking for a large one, just enough for Windows 7, a few games, and maybe a few applications. But it wouldnt be used for storage of any kind.

PSU:
In the event my PSU is not suitable what would be a good option go look into to allow for two 6970s in the future if I go that path.

Monitor:
I plan on going Dual monitor so Im going to be getting two of what ever I pick. After a brief search I came up with these two as possibles but I am still very open to ideas.
Asus ML228H 21.5"
Asus VE228H 21.5"

Over the next few days I will be doing more research into my RAM and SSD options, so those are not at the top of my list of concerns as I almost rather learn about them for myself, just have someone verify what I am thinking afterward. However, I really would like input on my current PSU and if it can handle the Gfx Cards Im looking into. My main concern for this post was the PSU and Gfx Cards, but I figured I would get it all out there to start and change other things as I go.

Thanks for any help, insight, and opinions anyone has to offer on anything.

narayanjr

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
I do not have speakers so I am gonna try for one with speakers, however Its not a big deal if it doesnt have speakers its not a big deal ican scrounge some up somewhere. And yes I know one of those has speakers and the other doesnt.