New Gaming computer

asmodian

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
I decided after looking around not to pay somebody to build my computer this time, and am going to give it a go myself. I pretty much just went to alienware/cyberpower/origin and looked at what they offered and picked form there list of what I think I wanted. Just running a "sanity" check by you all to see if I have it all, or if this will even work.

Case: AZZA solano Full tower case
PSU: Cooler master silent pro Gold Series 800W
Mobo: Asus Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366
CPU: Intell i-960 bloomfield 3.2 Ghz
Cooling: Thermalright Venomous X-rt 120mm cpu cooler (Not sure I want to try liquid cooling, this seemed to be a good option that is not liquid)
Video: EVA Superclocked Geforce GTX 560 ti 1GB GDDR5
Memory: Corsair Dominator 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1866 Mhz
HD: WS 640GB 7.2k rpm
WiFi: Zonenet Zew1642S PCI fixed Antenna
Extras:
CD rom
Windows 7 Home full
Nzxt Sentry-2 Touchscreen fan controler (how hard is this for a do it yourselfer to set up?)

This all seems to come in at around 1,800$ I was informed that doing SLI would not be possible since I use 2 monitors, and they said SLI only supports using 1. The big bugdget items for this seem to be the 340$ in memory and 260$ in Video card. is this money well spent?

Thanks

asmodian

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
used the full version of windows so that it is supported, spent almost 100$ more so both builds are about the same in cost. I am not sure of the MSI motherboard, I know ASUS motherboards are they comparable? or is 1 better than the other?

I really want to maximize this for video especially in World of Warcraft I want to play on ultra settings. Especially the graphics. I have used Dominator RAM in the past and been very happy with it, is it really that different than the rest of Corsair's memory? I don't mind spending 1,800 originally I had 3k budgeted but after reading the forums and doing research it seems the general consensus is spending more than 2,000$ on a gaming machine is kind of wasting money. So 2,000$ seems like a sweet spot to be at.

the other large difference between these 2 builds is the one I propose uses 12GB of memory, that is tri-channeled. If i understand what you linked here, you build one with 16GB of Dual channeled memory, is there a significant difference between the 2?

And you are using a SSD device at 64GB I suppose you are just installing the OS on this partition and then using the 1TB for games etc?

Is RAID 0 an option I should use over this.

How about the fact I don't have a 3 inch floppy? Do you need these anymore? I hate having to mess with them for bios and etc. . Or would I need it if I do RAID, load a raid driver or something?

I guess my big concern is the Memory comparison, is 16GB of dual channel 1600, better than 12GB of Tri channel 1866, specifically for video gaming.

Ack I just noticed you also have a 100$ extra Video card, is this card really that much better than the one I have selected. And I have no rush on this computer.

Thanks

anthony1832

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
I actually have some newbie questions on WR2's build.

1.) the Corsair Performance 3 64GB SATA III SSD $175, is that hard drive just for the OS?
2.) Can that MSI board do dual video cards? I usually look for LSI or Crossfire in the details and I don't see it.

I know these are really newb like questions, but im about to build my first computer and am not 100% familiar with everything yet.

Since you're not in a hurry you can wait for the Asus/GigaByte/Asrock MBs to get back in stock. Nothing wrong with the MSI board - its just the one that happens to be in stock ATM. The performance differences between boards is usually minor - the feature set/options is sometimes different.

I really want to maximize this for video especially in World of Warcraft
To maximize graphics performance its more important to maximize the graphics card than the system RAM. GTX 570 is a more powerful graphics card. And 8GB of RAM is more than necessary. Is a GTX 560 Ti adequate? Probably. Same for the GTX 460. And Core i5-2500K too for that matter.
World Of Warcraft: Cataclysm--Tom's Performance Guide

Twin channel or Tri channel, 1600 or 1833... the better CPU and graphics card makes a LOT more difference.
Taking the 12GB tri channel RAM option would net you a lower performance than the 8GB dual channel because of the better CPU/GPU.

These days a 4GB or 8GB USB thumb drive is far more handy than a 1.44MB floppy drive.
Neither the X58 Sabertooth or the P67 motherboards even have a PATA/IDE MB connector for a floppy.

A 64GB SSD boot drive would hold your OS (16-20GB) and about 25GB for a full WoW+BC+Wotlk+Cataclysm install with enough room for 4 or 5 of your most frequently used programs (depending of course on the size of the program). There are plenty of guides on how to optimize WoW for SSD. I have my OS slice down to ~12GB.
Another options would be going with one of the Sand Force 1200 SSD in a 90GB ($180) or 120GB ($210) option.

If you want to save some $$ and give up a bit of performance you could RAID0 a couple of 500GB HDD for about $100 vs $240 for the SSD/1TB HDD combo.

anthony1832

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
Wow, so helpful!! Thanks so much. I'm about to order the computer you posted, the build is very similar to what I had in mind. A couple last questions though.

Since I am new to building computers, and overclocking, I have no intention on overclocking the computer until the warranties expire, because I don't want to void them. Will this computer run fine without me tweaking anything? Is there anything special I need to know when putting this thing together that is out of the ordinary?

Thanks again!

Yes it will.
And no there isn't anything special about doing this type of build.

Here is a Step-by-Step Guide to Building a PC

Look over the forum's "System won't boot" checklist to see some of the common build errors and how to avoid them.

-> The usual advice; read the manual / install guide; look at the parts, read the manual again and if everything makes sense and looks right - then go ahead with the install.

While you're waiting you can download the online version of the motherboard manual and start getting familiar with it. Same for the other parts you want to order if they have install guides or manuals available.

anthony1832

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
Yes, I am going to do that. I didnt want to create another, new gaming PC post, but i guess i will.

Also, I think I am downgrading the processor to the i5-2500k to save a little money.