Sign in with
Your question

New evga gtx 580 problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 30, 2010 7:00:27 PM

Hi, I recently purchased an EVGA gtx 580 graphics card, it installed without problems. Downloaded and and did a clean install of the latest nvidia drivers from safe mode after using driver sweeper. The pc randomly powers off during gameplay without warning or error message. I reseated the card and blew out the slot with compressed air. Checked to make sure everything is where it should be etc. This only happens during gameplay, and not during regular use. My system specs are: Dell xps 700, win 7 64bit, 4gig ddr2 667 ram, intel core 2 extreme processor q6800@2.93ghz, brand new 1000watt antec psu. cpu and gpu temps are normal, and all fans are functioning properly. System was working extremely well until 4days ago when the old video card gtx 295 was inadvertently shorted by my son who plugged in his new monitor while it was powered on. The new card appears to be functioning properly and passes all benchmarking ie. 3dmark extremely well. I appreciate any and all input. Thanks.

More about : evga gtx 580 problems

a c 1318 U Graphics card
December 30, 2010 7:14:37 PM

Sounds like power issue, maybe the short damaged the PSU.
December 30, 2010 7:22:50 PM

PSUs come with shirt circuit protection n what not so shouldnt be a problem..

What are the GPUs temps under load?

And your using the correct GTX580 drivers right?

And plugging in a monitor to the GPU with it powered on shouldnt cause that type of problem, only issue it should cause is an incorrect screen resolution, which rebooting would have fixed.
Related resources
December 30, 2010 7:24:25 PM

What do you mean, am i using the correct drivers?? Could you explain, please?
December 30, 2010 7:26:17 PM

Well was a dumb question, but the current 580 drivers are 263.09, is that what your currently using?

Btw, just to be sure, double check all the power supplys connections to the motherboard and make sure they are properly and fully inserted
a c 539 U Graphics card
December 30, 2010 7:27:51 PM

Unfortunately, I had a similar problem, and after RMA'ing my video card and my PSU, I discovered it was a bad motherboard. Hopefully, that is not the problem for you, but it may be that the short circuit was to your PCIe slot.
December 30, 2010 7:29:55 PM

In that case if its a SLI motherboard could try the second slot, but as its a Dell i suspect it doesnt have one.
December 30, 2010 7:34:02 PM

Yes, I am using the latest drivers from the nvidia website 263.09. Reinstalled directx, physx etc. Interestingly, i had a similar problem with my gtx 295. Everyone thought the same thing about the psu failing and/or potential overheating of the graphics card.
The problem resolved when I dedicated one of the gpu's to physx. This was about 14 months ago, nvidia had no explanation for this. As for the monitor, i agree it seems strange but one minute the card was working fine then he unplugged the old monitor and plugged in the new one and here we are. There was an easily audible staticky sound when he touched the dvi cable into the back of the card.
a c 212 U Graphics card
December 30, 2010 7:36:14 PM

Download this and run the GPU test .... monitor temps during the test and look at the voltage graphs for any anomalies after your done

http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download

PS.....unless your PSU is a hi end model from Corsair , Antec , Seasonic, XFX, I would not run the O test ... it's been known to fry lesser models.
December 30, 2010 7:38:44 PM

The new card is plugged into the same spot as the old card so I don't think there is a problem with the slot. And as I mentioned the problem is only with graphics intense games suchas BFBC2/vietnam CODBO MOH2010 silent hunter 5 Crysis
a c 539 U Graphics card
December 30, 2010 10:32:53 PM

To be more specific about my motherboard problem, the PC would crash when I exited games. It would do any normal tasks with no problem, and it would run the games fine, but about two seconds after exiting a game, crash, restart. I ran some stress tests (AIDA64) to stress the CPU and discovered that any stress on the CPU would cause the crash. It sounds like your problem might be a little different, but for your reference that was my experience.
December 31, 2010 9:36:41 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
Download this and run the GPU test .... monitor temps during the test and look at the voltage graphs for any anomalies after your done

http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download

PS.....unless your PSU is a hi end model from Corsair , Antec , Seasonic, XFX, I would not run the O test ... it's been known to fry lesser models.

I downloaded and attempted to run the gpu occt test. My system powered off everytime the test started. What does that mean?
It didn't even run a little, almost immediately as the test started.
December 31, 2010 10:05:43 AM

Try downloading cpuz and look at the tab where it has your voltages that your getting from your psu. I bet your psu 12v rail is bad.

Im pretty sure your new psu was bad because it simply cannot supply enough power.

If your psu is modular, make sure you used the right plugs for your pci express so its loaded correctly.

If you have access to it test the card in another system. Im pretty sure its the psu tho.
a c 539 U Graphics card
December 31, 2010 1:54:47 PM

jca2200 said:
I downloaded and attempted to run the gpu occt test. My system powered off everytime the test started. What does that mean?
It didn't even run a little, almost immediately as the test started.

That's basically what happened to me with my bad motherboard.
December 31, 2010 6:04:58 PM

Well, thanks for all the tips guys. I was tinkering with the evga precision tool and decided to underclock the card just to see what would happen. I underclocked the gpu and memory by about 20% below factory default and now everything works fine. Kids have been playing nonstop for hours without any crashes or power offs. All graphics settings on all games as high as possible.
January 1, 2011 12:03:42 AM

Underclocking draws less power so your still not solving your problem. You payed alot of money for your setup so just dont put a band aid on it.

It wouldnt hurt to look in that same software and look at your rails for your psu. If your not within specs then your psu is bad.
January 1, 2011 8:02:32 PM

Agreed. Underclocking doesn't really answer the question. My psu failed the power supply test provided by OCCT. I don't know how to test the rails using software. The precision tool only involved under or overclocking the card.
January 2, 2011 12:45:02 AM

If your psu failed the OCCT test, then my guess that it was the psu is right. When your underclocking your card, your drawing less power from your psu then it creates the illusion that you solved a problem.

If your computer is fine surfing the net and using word and then you ramp up to gaming and it cuts off, 90% of the time its your psu. It simply cannot supply enough power under load so its cuts off. So in the future when your cpu just cuts off under load you know where you should be trying to isolate the problem.

RMA time for that antec and you should be fine.

Happy New Year!
January 2, 2011 9:46:14 AM

silky salamandr said:
If your psu failed the OCCT test, then my guess that it was the psu is right. When your underclocking your card, your drawing less power from your psu then it creates the illusion that you solved a problem.

If your computer is fine surfing the net and using word and then you ramp up to gaming and it cuts off, 90% of the time its your psu. It simply cannot supply enough power under load so its cuts off. So in the future when your cpu just cuts off under load you know where you should be trying to isolate the problem.

RMA time for that antec and you should be fine.

Happy New Year!

Thank You for your help but I would like to ask one more question. I have been reading a lot about the internal hook up to the card with the 6/8 pin plugs. Several different sources have commented that using the two 6 pin adapter to 8 pin that came with the card could be a cause of problems. Why would that be and since I don't have an 8 pin plug in my pc what choice would I have.
January 2, 2011 4:10:42 PM

rolli59 said:
In your original post you say that you have a brand new Antec, almost all new PSU's have 6+2 connectors that substitute the 8 pin like these two http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Yes, I purchased it new 9/10, yet I can't find a 6+2 connector. However what i did find tucked away were two other 6 connectors. I plugged these into the 8 adaptor and the card now works at factory specs. Both psu and video card pass the OCCT stress tests. Things seem to be working very well and I can even overclock although there is no need.
a c 1318 U Graphics card
January 2, 2011 4:14:47 PM

Apparently it was all power issues then, the PCIe connectors are usually on different rails on multirail PSU's. Enjoy!
a c 539 U Graphics card
January 2, 2011 4:16:33 PM

Look for a 6 pin connector that has a 2 pin hanging off to the side. These are usually connected together to make an 8 pin connector, but they are designed to pull apart if necessary. Maybe you have an 8 pin that has been pulled apart into a 6 pin + a 2 pin. If so, plug in both in the 8 pin slot.
!