Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Bad MOBO, DIMM slot, or RAM Module? Or something else?

Last response: in Memory
February 4, 2012 3:34:26 PM

Stats:
GA z68xp ud4
i7 2600k
4 CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10 corsair vengenace (8GB) modules = (32 GB)
1 evga 560ti 2gb GPU
1 corsair gt3 120gb ssd (OS)
1 WD caviar black 1 tb HHD
1 lite on dvdrw
1 old toshiba dvdrw
dokker lite case
multiple fans & nzxt fan controller
1 750W modular corsair enthusiast PSU
windows ultimate 64bit

I recently built my first computer, my goal was gaming and an all around really fast computer. After it was assembled I had a heck of a time with it freezing during the initial phases of the OS installation(about 5-6 tries). Eventually I did get it installed however it took a long time to load; about 15 seconds to the splash screen and then it would sit for about 3 mins until you enter your password and then another 30 seconds onto a black screen and then the desktop. I had numerous freeze ups with installing the windows updates and SP1. I removed two of the ram sticks and it sped up the boot time a lot, the splash screen was reduced to about 10 seconds, everything else the same, and overall seemed more stable & quick. I switched the ram sticks out and it was the same so I dont think one is bad. I tried just one ram stick and it was about the same as having two. I currently have only two sticks in on the 1 & 2 slots per the manual. My question is; is 32GB so overkill its slowing down the computer? And shouldnt the boot time be quicker with the OS loaded onto the SSD? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Best solution

a b } Memory
February 5, 2012 2:22:49 AM

If you've checked each stick individually with Memtest ( http://www.memtest.org/ ), then my first assumption would be a faulty board. Unless you made changes in BIOS that are making the system unstable. The board should have no issue with that much RAM. If the board works fine with 2 x 8GB, but chokes with 4 x 8GB... I'd bet on the board being bad.
Btw, here is a good tutorial for fresh installing Win7 with a SSD.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-inst...
February 5, 2012 2:45:04 AM

I think you need to update the BIOS. When motherboards are produced they have a BIOS that may not deal well with particular RAM chips that have been made after the board was produced. 8 GB Dimms are new and even though the board supports them in theory they often require a BIOS update to marry up the new technology.
Score
Related resources
February 6, 2012 10:57:12 PM

Best answer selected by Rkbarnes82.
Score
February 6, 2012 10:58:03 PM

I ended up flashing my bios which may or may not have helped but the SSD installation guide was awesome and seemed to really speed things up after a clean reinstall. thanks guys.
Score
a c 146 } Memory
February 6, 2012 11:06:54 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!