Sign in with
Your question

Extreme PC Crash (With Aftershock -lol-)!

Last response: in Systems
March 5, 2011 12:45:10 PM

So, this has been bugging me for a long time now, but during the last week it wen't apeshit. Everytime I load up Borderlands, Crysis 2 (leaked beta), Sniper Ghost Warrior, Bioshock 2 etc. and start playing my computer goes apeshit on me. Basically I get to play for a minute or so, then the screen freezes, blue crooked lines fill the screen, and the audio starts stuttering. No response from the computer, and thus manual reboot is needed.

Then, when it reboots, socalled รก's fill the black screen during BIOS boot. Then when windows loads, the resolution is lowered tremendously, and the top left corner has these crooked blue lines that were there during the freeze. Then when my desktop appears, it's filled with those lines, and the resolution is still unresolveable. I figured I had to re-install my drivers, reboot and everything would be fine for about a week. Except now, EVERY single time I play those games they crash the same way.

I've tried running many stress tests, taking my computer apart and putting it back together, of course cleaning the whole thing, I have tried formatting my harddrive, downgrading drivers, updating drivers, I've been all over google about this, and I simply can't figure what the problem is, what's causing it, nor how to fix it. My suspiscion is that it's my powersupply, a Xilence 600w I never got around to replacing (I'm sort of poor).
Otherwise it might be my 9800 GTX, which is obviously outdated by now, although I can't quite figure out exactly what it is, and therefore have no idea what to save up for replacing.

My full specs:

AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8 GHz
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Nvidia Club3D Geforce 9800 GTX 512mb
Cooler Master CM Storm Scout
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 CPU Cooler
Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM HDD (32mb cache)
Samsung Writemaster DVD Writer
Xilence XP600 600 Watts PSU

March 7, 2011 1:39:20 AM

Is anything overclocked? Do you have custom ram timings? Is the voltage to your ram correct? Fix the top 3, then if it is still doing it, underclock the ram on the graphics card by a decent amount, as it sounds like a possible vram issue.
March 7, 2011 10:56:26 AM

Thanks for the advice, I'll try it and return.
March 7, 2011 11:38:07 AM

Wow, I am astonished that it worked. Simply tuned down the memory clock (to the absolute mininum actually). I thank you ALOT. I WILL remember this. I owe my parents money, and I thought I would have to buy a new powersupply, which would eventually result in me working my ass off in the garden. Thank you very much!
!