In home networking using a router and switch

G

Hello,
We have 10 computers in our house. The connection goes as follows: modem to router 3 computers on router then router to switch and 6 computers on switch the last computer is wifi. We blow through a switch every couple years, and techs tell us it's hooked up wrong but won't tell us how to fix it. Can someone help with step by step instructions?

kaa0653

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Sounds like a pretty standard setup to me. I currently have two switches connected to my router in the same fashion. I have done this for years and never had an issue. What kind of equipment are you using?

stevegaron

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Hello,
We have 10 computers in our house. The connection goes as follows: modem to router 3 computers on router then router to switch and 6 computers on switch the last computer is wifi. We blow through a switch every couple years, and techs tell us it's hooked up wrong but won't tell us how to fix it. Can someone help with step by step instructions?

This is definately a typical setup. The tech your talking to must have something different in mind. If I were to improve on this setup. I would get a switch with more switch ports and off load the 3 computers.

stevegaron

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Hello,

This is definately a typical setup. The tech your talking to must have something different in mind. If I were to improve on this setup. I would get a switch with more switch ports and off load the 3 computers.

riser

Illustrious
Side note: You could add in a small battery to run the switch on. A UPS will be ideal to keep the switch running.

I'm using 8 year old Linksys router at home that has been running on a battery backup. Never had one fail but it is time to replace it.

kaa0653

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
That's kind of what I was thinking. Either low grade equipment is being used or maybe a minor power issue. Little sags (brown outs) and spikes in electricity can create all kinds of issues with electronics over time. At the very least have a surge protector. But even the sags cause problems so I have all my electronics and networking gear plugged into a UPS. If you go that route make sure you get a UPS that has Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR). AVR will protect against surges AND sags. If there is a sag it pulls some power from the battery to keep it's output constant. Also make sure that the UPS is large enough for the equipment you want to put on it. I've made that mistake myself in the past.