"hack" shared graphic memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
I have a old computer with a Intergrated Graphic Chipset (GeForce 2) running on a Athlon 2000+ eXtreme Performance (XP). The maximum shared memory in the bios is 32mb, I was wandering if we could "hack" the memory to 64 or even 128?
It would be nice since i have 2GB of ram...

Solution
You haven't specified which GeForce2 IGP you have. The 32MB limit is set in silicon for the MX, MX 100, and some MX 200. It's 64MB for the some MX 200, MX 400, GTS, Pro, Ti, Ti VX, and Ultra.

It's not going to matter if you up the limit in BIOS and drivers. You would be reserving (locking up) memory that the IGP is unable to use. It would also prevent the OS from access to that reserved memory.

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
thanx, but i don't really want to buy a GCard, and my question isn't really awnsered, can we hack the bios to increase memory?
Or like to modify the firmware of the bios and flash it to make availiable 64mb or more memory?

You haven't specified which GeForce2 IGP you have. The 32MB limit is set in silicon for the MX, MX 100, and some MX 200. It's 64MB for the some MX 200, MX 400, GTS, Pro, Ti, Ti VX, and Ultra.

It's not going to matter if you up the limit in BIOS and drivers. You would be reserving (locking up) memory that the IGP is unable to use. It would also prevent the OS from access to that reserved memory.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.