Question with 120hz monitors and Nvidia...

GFRY

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Hello all,

I've recently acquired a nice 120hz monitor from Asus, the VG236h I believe. Now, I realize that this monitor is designed with 3D applications (gaming, movies, etc.) in mind, but honestly I was more interested in the refresh rate and how it could be applied in 2 dimensional situations.

This brings me to my question; is there anyway (software, hardware or what have you) to watch movies, blurays discs in particular, and make use of the 120hz refresh rate? I'm sorry if this is unclear or a totally noob question I will try and expand.

To clarify, I have no interest in the 3D aspects of this monitor, I'm purely interested in a little gaming at 120hz in 2D, and more so with watching movies at 120hz (or at least above the default 24hz/ 60hz with powerdvd 10-- such as (I know this sounds bad) with 120hz+ televisions, such as those in electronics stores floor showings) also in 2D. I realize that in actual television sets, the sets themselves render additional images to fill in the gaps and create a more fluid picture, so my question ultimately is, is this possible on a 120hz monitor with some sort of software? Is there any way to achieve the 120hz fluidity that is so obvious on many 120hz television sets nowadays, but while watching a bluray on my pc with this monitor? Can I use this setup in the same way that you would watch a movie in 120hz on a large 120hz television set in, say, your home theater system? I'm running an i7 950 @ 4.4ghz, dual gtx 470's in sli, an lg bluray optical drive writer, with cyberlink's power dvd 10 ultra mark 2, and an asus vg236h with a nvidia glasses kit, all setup, stable and working fine.

If there are any suggestions on how to accomplish this I would greatly appreciate the help, the monitor is hdcp enabled.

Thanks in advance,
GFRY

GFRY

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Sorry, I know that they run at 24fps by default, but by the same token they run at 24fps on larger TVs as well. From what I understand, the difference is that the tv/ bluray player (I dont know which actually does this as I'm pretty out of touch with audio/video technology) actually adds more interpolated images of the movie in between the normal frames to achieve such fluidity; is there any way to do that using a computer? I assume some sort of software would be needed. In my head, if a television and a 100$ bluray player can do that for your home theater system using the limited computing resources available to them, you would think someone would try to apply the same idea to a computer with a similarly styled display hooked up to it.

An example would be with bluray decoding software. I know for a fact that a program like power dvd can change the pulldown of a movie and affect the framerate it is displayed at, but it can only go to 60hz or so, from my testing at least. Is there other software, or a different option that can do more than a mere 60hz on this 120hz display?

Sorry for any past, present or future confusion :p

Also because the 2:3:3:2 pulldown scheme was devised in order to make pulldown removal for editing in native 24p more efficient, the pulldown arrangement is not ideal for watching footage. There can be exaggerated stutters in motion, because the frames which are split into three fields are not only onscreen for 50% longer than the other frames, they are back-to-back. As such, 2:3:3:2 pulldown should be used only when a native 24p edit is planned, and not for final viewing.
Wikipedia

I'm sorry, I can't find anything else helpful. Movies in higher FPS are usually recorded by high-speed cameras to playback in "matrix mode", AKA slow motion.

GFRY

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Ok, I think I stumbled on the correct wording for what I am trying to accomplish with this monitor... Sorry everyone and thank you for bearing with me here I'm obviously struggling :(. Anyways, is there a way to get my pc to interpolate extra frames while watching my movies (bluray discs) in the same way that showroom tvs interpolate images between their frames to produce their glorious "fake" fluid as life pictures? I am shooting for the same fluidity and realism that this interpolation effect gives in such show rooms as bestbuy for example, with their 120hz tvs, but on my 120hz monitor which doesn't postprocess and interpolate additional frames for added fluidity by itself. So to the person who said motionbluring is a major component, from what I have read there isn't a way to blur THAT much and agree it's not possible, from 24-120hz, and to the person who said that the native bluray signal is the limiting reagent, I also agree with this. My main question though is, isn't there a way to interpolate additional frames like home theater style televisions when watching a movie on my bluray drive to give my monitor some amazing looking interpolated goodness to display for me in an attempt to recreate the tv style 120hz experience with 2d media like bluray movies?

lasttarget

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
My dad bought a 32" monitor for his laptop and its 120 Hz. I can say that although the laptop cant dish out good frame rates throughout the entire movie, I can definitely notice the 120 Hz monitor kicking in as the movie is just fluid sometimes (when the laptop is able to keep up). His laptop is years behind technology so I think that the monitor is doing the work as far as viewing at 120Hz.

You should just look at the monitor and tell us if its fluid or not.

Dont listen to people who say its not possible cause movies are recorded at 24fps. Thats like how ppl used to say that games dont need over 60 fps. Play a game at 120 fps youll notice a big improvement.

pcchip

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003
Technically it's possible, yes. I don't have any experience with playback software interpolating extra frames to get you up to 120fps, so I unfortunately can't help you. Just google around for it I suppose. But I do know exactly what you mean and exactly what you're looking for (just can't understand why, LoL) When I see movies played back with increased framerates, it really bothers me. They are recorded at 24fps for certain reasons (something about the human psyche, slower framerate, and 'storytellying') and when I see them in store displays being played back at an interpolated 60/120fps, it really kills the movie experience for me - it makes them look and feel like home-movies.

I do think that either nvidia or amd/ati has a few options in their control panels for doing this to certain movies, though I'm not sure which types, or when played through which software. I use VLC & MPC-HC 64

Good luck on your quest to interpolated movie/video frames though.

PS - As for gaming, the great thing is they don't have to be interpolated like when someone hooks up a PS3 / X360 to a 120/240hz Television. An actual 120hz refresh rate means your video card should be able to make up to 120 unique frames every second. I actually just got an Asus 120hz monitor myself, and am still learning about how to make 120hz "stick" in games, and when it actually works right, it's amazingly smooth. It even makes the windows desktop look amazing when dragging windows and such.

TRENDING THREADS