Sign in with
Your question

[SOLVED!] Windows 8 Games crash problems

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 8
January 10, 2013 6:50:02 PM

Hello, I'm a new user, I've been lurking for a while and now I finally decided to register,

thanks for this awesome forum!

I'm not a native speaker of English, so please excuse me for my errors.

Anyway, here's my problem:

First my configuration:

CPU: Core i5-2500K 3.3 GHz (overclocked @4.3 GHz)

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V

PSU: Corsair 650 W (Bronze)

RAM: Mushkin 8 GB DDR3-1600 Dual-channel

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB VRAM

HDD: 1 TB Seagate (O.S.), 500GB Seagate.

O.S. Windows 8 PRO x64

I have installed Windows 8 (CLEAN Installation), I have installed all the Windows updates, and all the latest drivers for my video card, chipset, sound card, etc.

But every time that I launch a game that uses DirectX 10 / 11, it crashes!

I have noticed that if a game uses DirectX 9 (Skyrim, Gears of War, Dragon Age 2) everything is fine, but if a game uses something else (DirectX 10, 10.1, 11, OpenGL) then it crashes.

First the game show a black screen and stays there, sometimes it even freezes the computer and I have to use the reset button, the problem is less severe with DirectX 10 in some games (e.g. Gears of War) because sometimes the game plays for a while and then freezes.

The problem appears to affect mainly the fullscreen mode, because I can launch some games in window mode (e.g. Metro 2033, DirectX 11), but it's a tiny window. :( 

I use EVGA Precision and HWiNFO and FRAPS to see hardware statistics during gaming, and when I can launch a DirectX 10 game in fullscreen, it doesn't show any OSD (Precision, HWiNFO, FRAPS), but if I launch a DirectX 9 game it shows everything.

If I set the CPU to stock clock it doesn't make a difference.

I recently installed the NVIDIA Drivers 310.90, but it happened before with 310.70 and 306.23 too. I created a system image before I installed any video drivers, so every time I install a new version it's a CLEAN installation and I don't have to remove any previous driver so I don't think that the drivers conflict with each other.

I had Windows 7 PRO x64 before and it never happened, what can you recommend me? is my only choice left to return to Windows 7? :( 

Please help, I'm desperate!

Anyone here has the same problem?
January 13, 2013 5:33:14 AM

UPDATE: I'd like to share something: I flashed my card with the official latest BIOS fan unlocker from EVGA.

I have a Core i5-2500K with integrated graphics Intel HD 3000, which has DirectX 10.1 capability, so I did a system restore with a system image (without any Intel or NVIDIA video drivers) and I tested some games, and the problem is the same: whenever a DirectX 10/11 game is launched then the screen goes black and then it crashes to the desktop, this only happens if the game is played in FULLSCREEN mode, if it's launched in window mode then it plays ok.

So my conclusion is that it is a problem of Windows 8 and not of NVIDIA.

If only Microsoft had waited more time to release their product properly. :pfff: 
m
l
January 13, 2013 8:11:04 PM

UPDATE 2: PROBLEM SOLVED!

I tried to un the games app or Steam client as Administrator and it worked! Now DirectX 10/11 games can play normally on fullscreen.

Although this is weird I didn't have to do that with DirectX 9 games.

I guess that Windows 8 is still a work in progress...
m
l
!