Adding ram/video card to laptop

Last response: in Components
June 4, 2011 5:48:54 PM

Hello, I'm looking to buy this laptop

HP Pavilion dv6t Select Edition customizable Notebook PC
LT070AV

dark umber
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with Service Pack 1
2nd generation Intel(R) Dual Core(TM) i5-2410M (2.3 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 [HDMI, VGA]
FREE Upgrade to 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
640GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
No Additional Office Software
No additional security software
30% OFF! 9-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery (over-sized) - Up to 9.75 hours of battery life +++
15.6" diagonal High Definition HP BrightView LED Display (1366x768)
SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone and HP SimplePass Fingerprint Reader
Intel 802.11b/g/n WLAN with Wireless Display Support
Standard Keyboard with numeric keypad
HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

I want to know if its worth buying 2 extra gigs of ram to get 8 total and then to get a video card and put it in myself.
Also what would I have to look for to make sure the ram worked and the video card works with the laptop?
June 4, 2011 6:44:57 PM

Its unlikely that you will be able to upgrade the graphics card in it, its running the onboard video so it likely wont have an expansion slot for the card and wont have sufficient cooling for an additional graphics chip. The memory you could upgrade yourself thats pretty easy but get the right GPU from the start.
June 4, 2011 7:01:22 PM

6GB of RAM is enough. 8GB of RAM would probably be good if you are working with PhotoShop.

Most video cards in laptops are soldered into the motherboard. Only laptop with MXM module video cards can be upgraded. Therefore you need to find out of the laptop uses a MXM video card module. Most laptop don't.
!