Windows 7 64bit shows 3.73GB usable memory with 8GB installed

Kirtaner

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
I have two sticks of 4gb PNY RAM (8gb total) installed in an Asrock A75M FM1 motherboard with an A8-3850 APU, which supports 16GB of RAM. I've already updated my BIOS, thinking that may be it, but it didn't work.

Windows 7 as well as my BIOS show that 8GB of RAM is installed, but only 3.73 is usable. Another 4375MB shows up in Windows as "Hardware Reserved".

I've looked on the AsRock FAQ which says that on other boards there is a "BIOS / Advanced / Chipset Configuration / Memory Remap Feature", but this isn't in my BIOS (A75M P1.70).

How can I get the other 4GB of RAM to be usable?

vY21ydw

JamesGTRS

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
You probably have your RAM installed incorrectly. I have the same board, and had the same problem. You probably have 1 4GB stick in a "blue' slot, and 1 4GB stick in a "white" slot. They both have to be in blue, or both have to be in white. Once I did that, I had all my RAM available.

Kirtaner

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009

My board only has two RAM slots. I was able to get it fixed by switching the RAM around a couple of times (first time didn't work, second time did), so maybe they just weren't seated properly the first 2 times.

Thanks everyone for the responses.