"Begin to update backup BIOS to latest version" Loop

Rallick

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
I recently purchased a CYBERPOWER PC, and it has been running very well for about 2 months.
I recently turned windows update on, which revealed about 60 updates that I had missed in the 2 months prior.

After restarting my PC, the motherboard screen flashed and then the system specs screen, followed by a screen stating:
Begin to update backup BIOS to latest version, writing BIOS image...........
It gets through about 4 lines of elipses and then the input from the computer stops( "DVI, No signal" is displayed) and then it loops right back through the order again.
Whenever I try and start the PC now I get
1. MOBO screen
2. Very quick flash of the sytem specs and options(too quick to act on any of the options in fact)
3. Bios image writing screen
4. Blank screen
Rinse and Repeat.

P.S, I have gotten lucky a few times and it's booted into windows, but it's been sitting here all day doing this with no reprieve.
I have my alternate PC up next to me, and have updated the BIOS to the newest version from GIGABYTE's website manually via USB and the flash menu from the motherboard.
It's still Looping and I am about to call customer support and RMA>

Any input would be appreciated guys.

Motherboard is a GA-970A-D3 with dual BIOS. :(

I'm not sure why the Pc has decided to update the bios that is usually done on purpose by going into the bios and setting the option to update the bios. I would see if I could switch to the other bios since it has two and that is sometimes done by a jumper. If you have the motherboard manual then you could look in it and see what it says to do for that.

Rallick

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012

The Dual bios is specifically
1. Main BIOS which is what the system normally runs on,
2.A BIOS backup, which takes over for the main, and copies itself to it incase of corruption.
I don't believe you can manually switch between the two, or even manually update the backup.

Rallick

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012

As far as I see, no , the backup doesn't seem to be something I can manipulate at all.
Ever since I activated windows update I've had this issue, I am assuming they included an update to my BIOS that just didn't take.
I also had a power outage yesterday while it was looping (not what caused the problem initially) and I think that really junked my board, because now it won't even boot to windows randomly, which it did twice after the loop cycled the first 2 times.

*sigh*
Going to check the actual gigabyte forums and then customer support and eventually...RMA>

Any advice is still very welcome though, i'll do anything I can before I have to mail it back and wait for what could potentially be months.

Not knowing exactly what you have done I am wondering if you have tried this;
Shut down and unplud the power supply then remove the cmos battery and wait a fwe minutes and put the battery back in , plug in the power supply and start up.
See if that makes a difference.

Rallick

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
I removed the battery for several minutes with the power off, unplugged and replaced it. That gave me a CMOS error and an option to load normally or "load last good",
I have tried both....still looping.

tanootz

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
I am having the same problem!!!! please notify if you figure the fix...

Rallick

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012

I ended up having to RMA the mobo, and they replaced it within a week, also, I think that the gigabyte utility manager was what originally caused the problem, as it prompted me to update the backup bios in the first place.
I was told by the retailer for my PC that I should simply "avoid using gigabyte update software"

Tresbizarre

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I fixed this on a Gigabyte 970A-D3 by updating to the latest firmware using the built-in Q-Flash utility. If your mobo has the utility you tap the [End] button at post and load the BIOS from a USB drive.