CPU and Core Temps.

idjlee96

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
So I finished my first build yesterday.

And have been monitoring my CPU temps since this morning, both idle and under load. I have the i7-2600k

In the UEFI/BIOS (Asus Z68 Pro is my MoBo btw), my CPU temps are at 45C.
Is that normal?

Also, I have been using CPUID HW to monitor and the core temps idle are around 30C and under load are around 55-60C.
Are those normal temps?
I am using a hyper 212+ btw with one fan.

Another thing I want to ask about is why one of my cores is always about 3-4 degrees hotter then the other 3.

And lastly, I do not see my CPU Temp through the HW Monitor.
And under Temperatures, the CPUTIN temp is just 0 degrees C (32F)
Is there a problem with my MoBo?

idjlee96

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Okay.

I still have one worry though, the CPUTIN (which I hear is basically the CPU temp) in CPUID HW Monitor is at 0 degrees. I want to know why this is?

Is it possible that my CPU Temp is not being read or something?

And I've seen my hard drives as low as -40C!
Windows software sometimes has a difficult time interpreting the signals sent by the motherboard. I have seen this with every motherboard and every monitoring software out there. Think of it as a decent ballpark figure. I typically find my BIOS readings are most accurate, although most boards don't give a core temp.

Also while your Thermal interface materiel is curing you are likely to see elevated temps. They should settle down after a few days.

idjlee96

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Oh ok. It says in the Bios that my CPU Temp is 45C. But people have told me that Bios temps are usually high.

Also, I think I may try reapplying the TIM again, I used the MX4 and from what I know, its supposed to not have any cure time, correct me if I'm wrong.

And would that mean that I won't ever be able to see CPU Temps?

Don't know about the cure time for that tim. There are any number of programs for monitoring temps, speedfan and coretemp are widely used. They are not particularly more accurate than anything else out there.

I use my BIOS readings, speedfan and AMD overdrive to monitor my temps. For video I use a few different programs. Rivatuner is one, msi's overclocking utility too.

Intel users seem to like coretemp.