bobthecatkiller

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
when my 6950 reachs 86c it crashes what ever is making it go that high examples being furmark cod waw (when messing around with flamethrower lol)...... it seems to crash weather its over clocked or on the 6970 bios or with both... currently testing if it will crash at 85c stock everything EDIT: it didnt crash i only got it to 86c by manually turnning down the fan at stock i find it hard to get to 86c without messing with the fan lol.. there is no reason for it to crash at 86c my 4670, 9800gt, gtx260, 5870 got well above 86c and never crashed.. can anyone help?
if it helps i have a corsair 850w psu core i7920@4ghz 6gig ocz ram and a haf x case
tried a few new things messing with clock speeds and stuff anything above normal 6950 speeds @85-88c the card will crash though at 6950 speeds and 6970 bios its fine.
a message pops up after it recovers saying "the graphics card driver has a problem and has recoverd" or somthing like that

also i have been doing some test just to see what happens and it seems to me that only when i chose to increase my memory speed then it crashes
880mhzcore bios mod 6970 1250mhz ram runs fine no crash
880mhzcore bios mod 6970 1375mhz ram crash @ 85-88c
stock everything no crash
it seems the power tune makes no difference in preformance or crashing for me
please help if you can

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
What are your ambient temps?

Make sure you have a good airflow inside your case, make some cable management.

85-88c is WAY WAY WAY too hot for any of those cards you mentioned, even if some of them woudln't crash, These ain't Fermi's where 90+c is normal, it's 30c where I live and my 5850 rarely hits 70c on heavily demanding games, 6800 are supposed to be cool cards too.

bobthecatkiller

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
when i asked xfx about my 9800gt going to 100c they said it will be good up to 125c. its normal for gpus to get hot they are always a bit hotter then cpus
stock 5870 in a haf x case perfact cable management temp in room 65f use to get to 90c and was fine
now its 50f in my room yes lol 50f its cold in ny and i dont want my heat on in this room : ) the card itself stock cant get past 74c but if i make the fan turn down it will reach 90s without crashing (after 90 i stop it) with 6970 bios and 6970 clocks it gets up to 88c max without me messing with the fan but it also crashes around 85-88c. 6970 bios and 6950 clocks it gets up to 87c max and doesnt crash!
i think it can be only 1 of a couple things
1) power supply not supplying enough power?! even no its a good psu
2) i didnt install/do somthing right? like i said i get a driver error from windows
3) im the 1st one that cannot succesfully unlock? stable...

bobthecatkiller

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

i thought about this^^^ bad memory could be the issue as its only when the memory is overclocked that it crashes. but i cant help but think i may have done somthing wrong because if the memory is the issue why would it be fine at stock if the memory was bad it wouldnt matter if it was stock or over clocked it would be crashing all the time
i could b wrong about this its just what i assume though

4745454b

Titan
The core clocks are more important than the memory clocks

Depends on how the chip is bottlenecked. Take the 4850 and 4870 for example. The cores are identical, but the 4850 has DDR3 while the 4870 has DDR5, resulting is better memory bandwidth. If I had a 4850, I would do whatever I could to get the memory clock speed higher because that's what lacking on the card. If however you have a DDR3 based 9500GT or some other weak card, I'd try cranking the core speed higher. Its so weak that the memory bandwidth is going to waste.

@bob, you're going to return a card because it won't OC how you want? Thanks a lot, way to make prices go higher and return policies shorter.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished

What you said is true, but I should have stated that overclocking the same type of memory which is already clocked very high, like in the case of the 6950 or 6970, which are already quite powerful on their own, will not result in any significant improvements.