Does an intel vt-d chipset imply a vt-d bios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anto_di_Pretoro

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
I've gathered that in order to take advantage of Intel's vt-d technology one needs a compatible CPU and motherboard. So far as I can tell, the compatibility of the motherboard is determined by whether or not the chipset and BIOS are compatible. I'm not too familiar with BIOSs or their relationship to chipsets.

My question is this: if the motherboard comes with a vt-d compatible chipset, does that mean that the BIOS is vt-d compatible or is that a BIOS property I must explicitly search for?

I'm inclined to think that a chipset feature does not imply BIOS support because I imagine that there would be too many combinations to keep track of...

Solution
Even if the chipset supports vt-d, it needs to be accessible in the bios. For example, asus, intel, gigabyte z68/p67 cannot use vt-d but asrock and msi z68/p67 can. Asus did have support on a couple bios but then took it off, I'm guessing they want you to buy their server/ws chipsets. I guess this is the big headache; looking for a mobo that supports it. You could just make things simple and go with the intel q67 I suggested or go with a server/workstation chipset; c202, c204, c206. Or you could try going with asrock. I just found this but you need to make sure they mention vt-d as some only mention vt-x. http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=27

BTW you didn't have to make another thread.
Even if the chipset supports vt-d, it needs to be accessible in the bios. For example, asus, intel, gigabyte z68/p67 cannot use vt-d but asrock and msi z68/p67 can. Asus did have support on a couple bios but then took it off, I'm guessing they want you to buy their server/ws chipsets. I guess this is the big headache; looking for a mobo that supports it. You could just make things simple and go with the intel q67 I suggested or go with a server/workstation chipset; c202, c204, c206. Or you could try going with asrock. I just found this but you need to make sure they mention vt-d as some only mention vt-x. http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=27

BTW you didn't have to make another thread.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.