Sign in with
Your question

GTX 465 and AS5 not going well...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 31, 2010 4:10:55 AM

So i wasnt very happy about my temps of my gpu (70c) a GTX 465 and i decided to apply some as5. Bad idea. I did it 3 different times and no luck, it idles at 40c but now goes up to 90C and KEEPS CLIMBING! Im not sure how to do it now because the GPU of the fermi series has a heat spreader over it now and one pea dot size doesnt cover the entire GPU! So if i use to much im going to be in a bad situation. So what can i do and what do i do?

More about : gtx 465 as5

a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2010 4:13:53 AM

Try applying a good thermal paste and re-install the heatsink.
m
l
December 31, 2010 4:15:12 AM

Good thermal paste? I have Arctic Silver 5, do you mean more thermal paste?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2010 4:24:36 AM

Its a good thermal paste.You can try reinstalling the heatsink.There are plenty of guides online.Also ensure that you have good airflow in the case.
m
l
December 31, 2010 5:57:33 AM

I've got a paralell thermal paste application and it seems to be at a good 71c. But with the old one it was a little lower than that. Should i just let the thermal paste break in?
m
l
a c 228 U Graphics card
December 31, 2010 3:39:11 PM

Did you read the curing notes on the AS5 website ?

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Quote:
After this article was first published, there was an immediate backlash from some of the manufacturers listed in this review. The primary argument was the lack of cure time. Here is the Arctic Silver 5 recommended cure time instruction from the manufacturers web site:

Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired.

So by my estimation of this statement it would take almost a year of normal use to properly cure the AC5 compound, or almost nine days of continuous power cycles to meet their recommendation. Benchmark Reviews feels that this is a characteristically unreasonable requirement for any TIM product, and we do not support it. We want products that perform without the burden of sacrifice on our time, especially with some many competing products offering performance without this extra requirement.

I'd suggest Shin Etsu which outperforms the AS5 and doesn't have the curing issues to deal with
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
December 31, 2010 5:17:55 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Did you read the curing notes on the AS5 website ?

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

So by my estimation of this statement it would take almost a year of normal use to properly cure the AC5 compound, or almost nine days of continuous power cycles to meet their recommendation. Benchmark Reviews feels that this is a characteristically unreasonable requirement for any TIM product, and we do not support it. We want products that perform without the burden of sacrifice on our time, especially with some many competing products offering performance without this extra requirement.

I'd suggest Shin Etsu which outperforms the AS5 and doesn't have the curing issues to deal with
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
[/quote]

Not for me, I bought a SSD and a GTX 460 this last September and already got over 1,500 hours worth of use. 10-16 hours a day every week and every month for both work, school, and gaming. 1370 hours on the SSD and that was bought about two to three weeks after my GTX 460. Plus running torrents for video material for my projects takes a long time to download.
m
l
!