RAM Issues

CHewie335

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Hi All,

I'm having an unusual problem with the RAM in my computer. When the problem first appeared my computer would freeze and I wouldn't be able to move the mouse or anything. This started more and more often until eventually my computer wouldn't start at all, if I turned it on I would get a long beep. According to the BIOS manufactures POST test beeps this indicated that there was a problem with the RAM. My computer had 4GB of RAM between 2 memory sticks and when I remove one of the sticks my computer runs fine and has continued to do so for the last several weeks. However as soon as I put a second RAM stick in it won't start up and I get the long beep again. Also when I have the one 2GB RAM stick in it has to be in the first slot for it to work, if I put it in any other slot it won't boot and I get the long beep.

Any help or advice with this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here are my computer specs.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 rev 2.0
RAM: 2X Kingston DDR2 KVR800D2N6/2GB 1.8v (Now down to 1 of these)
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-core 2.3GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 260

karl_ranseier

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
have you tried ALL combinations of memory sticks in the slots? your mainboard has 4 memory slots.
maybe its a problem when the memory is running in dual channel mode. you can try to switch to single channel in bios settings.