"6970" hot temps

So I successfully flashed my PC 6950 to a 6970.
But it seems to be running pretty hot.
What program can I use to monitor temps?
I've been using real temp/core temp/speedfan for years on my nvidia, but it doesn't read the 6950.
21 answers Last reply
More about 6970 temps
  1. ah, shulda thought of that. thanks.
    i'm idling at 50 degrees C @ 40% fanspeed...wtf?
    sad thing is i already dropped the gpu clock to 800/1375...
  2. It seems a bit high. Has your case got good airflow?
  3. I have the antec p183, with a i7 920 using a corsair h70 using push/pull with two antec tri cools set at medium.
    3 noctua pf12s in the case.
    My 275 would idle at 42-43.
    I'm at 50% fanspeed and only down to 46 degrees..wtf!
  4. So let me get this straight. You flashed your 6950 to a 6970 and your wondering why your temps are high? Theres a reason why your 6950 didnt make it to be a 6970 and it was binned. Ill say this again like ive been saying all week.

1.The 6970 has a 6 and an 8 pin power connector but your 6950 has two 6 pins.
    2.The 6970 has FASTER MEMORY and your 6950's memory is much slower.
    3.Theres a reason why your 6950 is a 6950.

This is funny because this is the same crowd that buys the AMD triple core and the model of motherboard that unlocks the fourth and then complain about temps and instability just to save a few dollars. Why do people think they are always getting something for free and that free stuff is good?

There is a reason why you bought a 6950. Its not a 6970 and all for what, 5 to 7 more fps?
  5. silky salamandr said:
    So let me get this straight. You flashed your 6950 to a 6970 and your wondering why your temps are high? Theres a reason why your 6950 didnt make it to be a 6970 and it was binned. Ill say this again like ive been saying all week.

1.The 6970 has a 6 and an 8 pin power connector but your 6950 has two 6 pins.
    2.The 6970 has FASTER MEMORY and your 6950's memory is much slower.
    3.Theres a reason why your 6950 is a 6950.

This is funny because this is the same crowd that buys the AMD triple core and the model of motherboard that unlocks the fourth and then complain about temps and instability just to save a few dollars. Why do people think they are always getting something for free and that free stuff is good?

There is a reason why you bought a 6950. Its not a 6970 and all for what, 5 to 7 more fps?

And don't forget that they get mad when the card doesn't work anymore, because of there bios flashing, can't flash it back to original before rma, and have warranty claim denied.
  6. well after running benchies and games on it, it's holding up very well.
    haven't seen it above 65 degrees yet, so that's a great sign.
    and the improvements performance are huge.
    i was just wondering what others are getting, cuz i'm not used to high temps to begin with coming from a twin frozr that would idle at 33-35 at 50% fanspeed.
  7. Do the clocks lower to 157/300 when at idle?

If they stay all the time at 800/1375 then that's definetly it.
  8. Do you use two monitors by chance?

If you use two monitors, at normal fan speeds, a 6970 is going to idle close to 60C because it won't idle at the normal low clocks in order to prevent back flickering on the 2nd monitor.
  9. they drop down to 500/1375 when idling.
    and yes i'm running two monitors.
    i'll try to unplug one and see what happens.
  10. oh helllllllls ya, i unplug my second monitor and it's at 33 degrees now. thanks for that :D
    but i miss my second monitor seconds after unplugging it!
  11. At least your problem solved! :D
  12. Are you going to plug your 2nd monitor back?
  13. I also use 2 monitors. I'm ok with the extra heat as long as I get the extra space.
  14. ya i've gotten so used to the 2nd monitor it's a must now.
    plus it's pretty cold in canada, so it'll help keep me warm :D
    for some reason the -20% power +20% power option in my catalyst overdrive is gone after i unplugged it.
    i plugged it back in and it's still not there.
    weird!
    edit : i ran 3dmark11 with one monitor, and my score is terrible.
    p4252 @ 915/1425
    plugged it back in and it got worse p3829
    It was P5117 before unplugging the second monitor, and only running at 905/1410.
  15. I don't think that's normal. You might try to reinstall the drivers.
  16. i rebooted my comp and it's back to normal now. it was stuck on the -20% and i couldn't change it that's why i was crapping out bad scores.
    i'll try again in a bit. thanks for ur help :)
  17. back to normal. getting p5236@915/1425 running i7 920 at 2.6.
    not too shabby, i can only imagine after a cpu oc it'll get better and better :D
  18. Another thing that can happen, or at least happened to me, is your GPU clock could get stuck in idle mode, even when in 3d games. This was fixed by reinstalling the drivers. I assume it was due to something changing in the bios flash. This problem would also effect benchmark scores. You might need to reinstall those drivers.
  19. cool thanks i'll look out for that.
    i am pretty impressed so far :D
    it really is like getting a free upgrade.
    and under load it really doesn't get that hot, hasn't gone past 65 degrees playing sc2/3dmark11/l4d2/hon.
  20. Watch your GPU clock. I'd expect it to get hotter under full load, unless the GPU clock is not responding properly.

I've never seen the issue with a single monitor, but I'm trying to track down the reason it happens with 2 monitors sometimes.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics