cemmanisali

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Okay so I've been using my current homebuilt system for 2yrs now and here's the problem:

my CPU and motherboard simultaneously overheat. My motherboard and CPU are at 70C idle and my computer turns off after gaming for more than 20-30m

I've made no system changes besides renewing my thermal compound, which did nothing.

I have never tweaked my system voltages

my case has worked for 2yrs so that's not the problem

my GPU is fine and is at 35C idle, never heats up too much

my current build is:
nvidia 780i SLI Mobo
650W power supply
intel Q6600 CPU
nvidia 9800 GT

Any advice gladly appreciated, I'm building a new Sandy Bridge system anyways, but I want to give this computer to my friend because his office computer sucks

Andriko_08

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Your computer is overheating...get better cooling, is this advice really needed? If there are any overclocks, turn them down or all the way down to stock.

EDIT:
I'm not familiar with non-i3/i5/i7 intel processors, I'm an amd fanboy :) though I pretty sure that processor is really old, and I think I heard issues about cooling, you can get a really good aftermarket cooler suitable for office needs, like 20 bucks, and you should also put more case fans where possible, maybe a ram cooler if you still have issues.

The normal "check" for case ventilation issues is to take off the side panel and use a desk or house fan to blow massive quantities of air onto the MoBo / CPU.

Are your case fans working ?

Do you have air filters ? Have they been cleaned ?

Have you used compressed air to blow all the dust out ?

cemmanisali

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
I actually did try the desk fan thing before to no avail

I don't have filters on my fans but I will definitely try the compressed air thing

And yes, all my case fans are absolutely working