Gtx-580 w/ gtx-295 phsx

Hello, I recently upgraded my 295 to 580. I figured I can dedicate the 295 to physx. I read afterwords it's a waste of power since the 580 is so similar to the 295.
My question is can I quad-sli it w/ a weaker card and if so which is the best, (don't care about the price.) I am married to the 295 card since I don't have a credit card and can't ebay it.

Running 3-d on 1 monitor soon to hit 3 monitor's in the next year I imagine.

running

win7
i7-920
12 gigs of ddr3 ram
80 gig intel ssd

thank you, and I am sorry if this is a common post.
10 answers Last reply
More about phsx
  1. Pigwood said:
    Hello, I recently upgraded my 295 to 580. I figured I can dedicate the 295 to physx. I read afterwords it's a waste of power since the 580 is so similar to the 295.
    My question is can I quad-sli it w/ a weaker card and if so which is the best, (don't care about the price.) I am married to the 295 card since I don't have a credit card and can't ebay it.

    Running 3-d on 1 monitor soon to hit 3 monitor's in the next year I imagine.

    running

    win7
    i7-920
    12 gigs of ddr3 ram
    80 gig intel ssd

    thank you, and I am sorry if this is a common post.

    No, you can only SLi it with another GTX295.
  2. So 2x580's?
    My mobo is 16 lanes x2 w/ one 8 lane opt.
    is it better to buy a cheap physx card and box the 295?
    or buy a cheap physx card and run quad?

    you say no. but mobo's allow it. I was contemplating a true 3xsli mobo. but got turned off after reviews.
  3. You can run the 295 as a PhysX card to the 580 or the 580 as a PhysX card to the 295 but they won't (and don't need to be) in SLi.
  4. thank you for the response, my problem is i got a 580 and a 295. And I really hate to box the 295. Also i got the cables for sli. I would prefer to buy 2 more 580's but my mobo hits 2 lanes at 16.
  5. Pigwood said:
    thank you for the response, my problem is i got a 580 and a 295. And I really hate to box the 295. Also i got the cables for sli. I would prefer to buy 2 more 580's but my mobo hits 2 lanes at 16.

    So long as your PSU can cope there is no reason why you can't run both cards together, they just won't be in SLi.
  6. 1200 psu
  7. my question is what gpu do i buy. i know there are people that run 3x580's. so 1 580 and a 295 and ? for physx? i'm sorry you make it sound simple but i am trying to make a sick gaming computer.
  8. You could run 2x 580's in SLi and the 295 as a PhysX card if you like, I'm not sure if both GPU's on the 295 would be used though.
  9. that's what i was thinking. that's 6 way sli. 2x580's drop the 295 on the 8 lane. but that's still overkill. I messed up buying the 580. I could have bought 2x 295's for a couple hundred more and ditched dx11. but i am stuck. I know there is 5770 that is talked about. can i buy that as a physx, or is that nvidia?
  10. Pigwood said:
    that's what i was thinking. that's 6 way sli. 2x580's drop the 295 on the 8 lane. but that's still overkill. I messed up buying the 580. I could have bought 2x 295's for a couple hundred more and ditched dx11. but i am stuck. I know there is 5770 that is talked about. can i buy that as a physx, or is that nvidia?

    No it's not, it's two way SLi with the 295 as a PhysX card. And an ATi HD5770 cannot be used as a PhysX card.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Graphics