ThaiBoy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Hello TH community,

I was recently given a Dell XPS 8300 as a Xmas/Bday gift from my girl and sister. My Current set up is -

- i7-2600 3.4GHz
- 1TB HD
- 6GB DDR3
- EVGA GTX 570
- Corsair 600watt PSU

I was hoping to get a new case and mobo with my tax return money possible and needed help with a mobo. I dont even really know what to look for as Im relatively new to upgrading PC's and such.

I was possible looking for potential SLI of the 570 or maybe even just upgrade to a better GPU once Kepler comes out through the EVGA trade up program.

What features and I looking for when it come to a mobo and any suggestions from the community? My range is $300-350

I recommend you leave the dell alone, especially if it's still under warranty. It's a very good setup. If you want to continue upgrading, I would sell the dell intact and build your own. But I would take your dell anyday for basic gaming. but if you do replace the dell board anyway, be sure to get another windows coa. Your dell won't run windows when you change to a non dell motherboard.

Unless you purchase either a SB 'K' or the forthcoming Ivy Bridge there's little point of swapping-out your MOBO.

That said, in addition to a new MOBO you'll need to also add to your shopping list a new PSU, and for SLI GTX 570 look at e.g. Corsair Professional Series HX1050 or similar 900W~1000W+ PSU; depending on OC'ing both the CPU & GPU's. Further, an SSD would be a good addition, it makes a considerable impact on system performance.

I often recommend the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131790

Yes to proprietary windows for most dell systems. I worked at dell several times. Normally the windows operating system is loaded off a server with a dell bios code in the motherboard, unless you upgraded your windows version. Coa (certificate of authenticity) is your windows identification number; dell and other oem manufacturer's get windows cheaper by assigning the windows copy to the specific motherboard instead of buying an oem or retail boxed version.

Basically yes, there's little point getting an OC'ing MOBO that you'll never OC.

I'm the type that will OC anything that be be OC'ed - why not?! However, I'm sure not going to 24/7 something foolish e.g. i7-2600K/i5-2500K @1.50+ or higher vCore.

Yeah, I'm sure they do something stupid (a-hole) like locking it down.

Just get an OEM version of Windows 7 e.g. $100 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986 or find it cheaper someplace else.

ThaiBoy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
@o1die how do i tell if windows has been loaded off a server on my pc?

So basically for me to upgrade to anything other than a better single gpu, i will need a case, mobo, psu, and windows software?

Case and power supply may be fine to reuse depending on your personal needs. You'll just need the board and windows coa. At dell, windows operating systems are loaded off a server while the system is thoroughly tested. You really think they'd do it by hand one at a time? They're loaded on racks and plugged in for maybe an hour, then unloaded and sent to packaging. Your system is current, still on sale for around $800. Depending on your power supply specs, you might get away with a mid range video card upgrade. It's your money.