Is it time for a new build

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
Currently running a Phoneme 955 x4 Amd2+ on a m3n78-em , 8gb ddr2, and a Ati 5700,

i been looking into these sandybridge components etc, would i get a significant performance boost? or would it be good to wait until the next range whatever they may be :D,

been away from the hardware scene recently so im not to clued up on what's been going on :D

would it be a good time for a new build ?

CopaMundial

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

I'd say we would need some more info first to comment on this.
How long have you been running your current system?
What is it that your current system doesn't do well enough?
What resolution do you use for your monitor?
What size power supply do you have?
What type of case do you have?

flyboy86

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
It really depends on what you can throw into it. If your budget is only a few hundred, you would just be able to make a few upgrades. If you can wait, then either sandy bridge or Bulldozer would be a great choice.

It is entirely up to you.

If you have to ask the question...It is time.

That said, your system looks quite competent to me. But as an enthusiast, you may be looking for any excuse to change your system for the latest and greatest.
Do you have someone that needs your PC?
I find that selling the parts individually on e-bay is more productive than selling the whole package.

You might want to upgrade parts individually.
Like a SSD, or a great graphics card.

CopaMundial

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Sometimes people get that itch for an upgrade without any clearcut reason. Often it just seems like it's 'time'.
For those folks I recommend doing upgrades in two cycles (sort of a Tic - Toc approach).
On the "Tic" cycle upgrade your processor + (if necessary) the motherboard (+ new RAM if required by the motherboard change).
On the "Toc" cycle overclock your existing CPU and upgrade video card.

IMO, it sounds like you are in the 'Toc' cycle.

Your 500w PS should support overclocking CPU and a new GPU.
Just pay close attention to the size of the graphics card, since that case lists a max card size of 10.5 in. There are plenty of sweet cards that will fit that, but a couple that are over so I would rule those out.

Your build can still play new games. Personally you don't need to get a new build.
Also others have stated, what is the budget you will be working with? If it is something like 500$ or 600$ wait a little, till you get a budget like 800-1000$.

I personally just want to get SB not because my 955 is old or my system is dead. But because I use CPU intensive apps and I'm dying for a more productive PS5 chip. But another reason is because 32nm will allow Sandy Bridge to overclock crazy high (4.0ghz+) But are those reasons for you to upgrade/new build. That's for you to decide.

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
cheers guys, ill probz hang on a bit more, its as copamundial said, just a bit of an itch really lol,

while looking for upgrades however it seems most places dont sell AMD2+ processors any more so any upgrade would mean replacing the mobo as well, may as well go the whole hog and renew if thats the case :D