Sign in with
Your question

How to install Cold Cathodes?

Last response: in Components
June 5, 2011 1:24:19 AM

Hey guys, I was wondering how cold cathodes actually get their power and how they work and connect. Im thinking of getting a dual-cathode kit which can be found here:

http://goo.gl/w9wix & http://goo.gl/l29dS

to install in my NZXT Lexa S case. What do I need to do exactly? Id like to know ahead of time so I can see how they work.

Btw, anyone know why one color costs more than the other?

Also, any recommendations? Is there anything I should know? I know there's like EL wires and stuff, cold cathodes, other sorts of lights, feel free to educate me on any of that stuff :D 

More about : install cold cathodes

a b ) Power supply
June 5, 2011 4:03:38 PM

Usually plugs into a molex power connecter and it will come with a inverter little blue box.
m
l
June 5, 2011 4:48:17 PM

Where would you put the inverter? How little is it? Wouldnt that generate heat inside the PC?
m
l
Related resources
June 5, 2011 4:53:24 PM

The inverters come with a fairly long cable and velcro stickers, so you can put them pretty much anywhere in your case. I haven't noticed much heat coming off of mine, so I don't think that should be an issue. The inverters are around 1.5"x1.5"x2.5"
m
l
June 5, 2011 4:54:04 PM

Ensure that your project is adequately powered. Any system with extras, such as cold ray cathodes or other goodies, requires more power than your typical system. Make sure you have a power supply that can handle the extra demand.

French Technicien
m
l
June 5, 2011 5:07:27 PM

I have a 750W PSU, way more than enough for my system. How much would a cathode take anyway? and so I just use molex connectors? Do I leave the inverters inside the case then? How do people with all that lighting and stuff manage all that? Something I dont know?
m
l
June 5, 2011 5:13:31 PM

The lights don't take a lot of power, and a 750w PSU is more than sufficient for the extra lighting. The inverters should be fine inside the case.
m
l
June 5, 2011 5:21:54 PM

Hmmm I see, the inverters are very small I guess. Anyone know anything other than EL wires and cold cathodes and LED fans, any other sort of popular lighting?

I know www.xoxide.com has some cool stuff, any other sites, any other lighting things I could get?
m
l
June 5, 2011 7:51:07 PM

I did a search for lighting and the top hit was this website... http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l1/g6/Lighting.html

looks like they had a decent selection.

I also did a search on newegg.com and they had feet for your case that were also lit... they did look interesting.
m
l
September 11, 2013 12:57:06 PM

FrozenCPU does have a great selection. I bought my Scythe 120mmx12mm fan from them for a tight spot in my case. They're usually my first stop for custom work.
m
l
a c 1167 ) Power supply
September 11, 2013 2:21:03 PM

reaper2794 said:
I have a 750W PSU, way more than enough for my system. How much would a cathode take anyway? and so I just use molex connectors? Do I leave the inverters inside the case then? How do people with all that lighting and stuff manage all that? Something I dont know?

Around 3.4 Watts.
m
l
!