Whats a good cpu to buy

warpig23

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
I want to build a new computer and I was thinking of getting the i7 (1156 or 1155 not sure what the diference is between the two) prosesor sandy bridge.But it is expensive and not sure what board to get.I prefer asus boards because always been good to me in the past.My last board was a asus p5w DH Deluxe and I still use that board. I was thinking maybe asus P8P67 motherboard.But not sure I havent been keeping up with all the new mombo info.Anybody have any sugestions for me.Do I really even need the sandy bridge or is it all hipe.I am planing to install water cooling in this computer.I have all in one h50 on my p5w deluxe.But this time I was going to try to install a real water cooling system no all in one ***.If any one could help me out i weould appreciate it.Thanks.Sean.. :pt1cable:

The current SandyBridge based CPUs require socket 1155 mainboards....

The H50/H60/H70 all work well on Sandybridge CPUs just as well as other rigs, as the socket 1155/1156 uses identical sink mounting format/hardware. (resorting to exotic/expensive $450 waterblocks, pumps, kits, etc., only resort in cooling the cpu perhaps another 2-3 degrees C, and most 2500Ks still top out at 4.6 Ghz or so no matter what cooling is used. MOst folks complaints of the H50 is only that it is tad loud compared to the H60.

If on a budget and not planning on overclocking, the i5-2400 is avail for $189 or so, with H67 mainboards avail for as little as $85...; otherwise, try to get a 2500k and P67 or Z68 based board.

warpig23

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010

I am not planing to orevclock acually never have done it before.I was going to on my p5w but i was told not to do it because its a nightmare.Anyways All i really do on my computer is some editing of videos listen (download) to alot of music.Spend alot of time on YOUTUBE uploading and watching videos.The only reason I was going to install a water colling system(not all in one system) just thought it would be cool.Never had a problem with the h50 works fine.Just thought I would try somthing new.Do you guys think its a bad idea wast of time.I dont know?..Thanks :sean

Sandy Bridge CPUs are socket 1155. Socket 1156 is for the 1st generation of Core i3, i5 and i7 processors called "Clarkdale" and "Lynnfield"

There are basically three type of Sandy Bridge CPUs, the i3, i5 and i7. Core i3 are dual core CPUs. Core i5 are quad core CPUs. Core i7 are quad core CPUs with Hyper Threading (HT) technology.

HT is not used in games so if that is the primary purpose of your rig then spending the extra $80 - $100 for an i7 is a waste of money. HT is used in many video encoding and 3D rendering software.

Ideally, most people choose the i5 unless your are on a strict budget which would mean the dual core i3.

The Sandy Bridge "k" version CPUs like the i5-2500k has an unlocked multiplier for better overclocking capabilities and has the faster Intel HD 3000 integrated video core. The "non k" version CPUs like the i5-2500 lacks what the "k" version has. Instead it has TXT and VT-d technologies geared towards business to protect PCs from being hacked and gaining access to certain sensitive data.

warpig23

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010

Whats asus board you might recommend to get if i get the i5-2500k processor.Do you have any sugestions.Or maybe I should go a different route then asus.My last few comps I built all had asus.Thanks for your help.Sean.......

janella448

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
just a friendly comment, do not restrict yourself to only one manufacturer. there are other viable brands out there like gigabyte, msi, asrock, and more. all you have to do is read reviews of boards at the same price point.

Actually Nehalem s1366 was the first i7.