Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HOW TO PLUG IN Internal audio connectors (4-pin CD-IN F_LINE_IN)

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
February 5, 2012 5:18:16 PM

I just replace a PTGD1 LA Motherboard and I am not sure about where to plug in all my cables. I am having a problem with the Internal audio connectors (4-pin CD-IN, F_LINE_IN). My cable has a white end and the connectors have 1 thats whit but has plastic tabs in it, the other black (the one that fits the white cable). new motherboard, new cpu, new memory. When I turn it on, the cpu fan works, my CD light blinks a few times, but nothing else seems to happen. What could be the problem?
a c 180 V Motherboard
February 5, 2012 5:58:35 PM

So are you asking a question about your audio connections or about your Pc not working at all?
The audio connections have nothing to do with wether or not your Pc will work so you will have to check all of your power connections to make sure that they are seated all the way in and the the video card and ram is also seated all the way in to the slots. Make sure that the atx power cable is pluged into the connector next to the cpu socket and that it is the atx connector and not the pci-e one. Make sure that the 24 pin connector is pluged into the motherboard all the way.
m
0
l
February 6, 2012 2:33:21 AM

inzone said:
So are you asking a question about your audio connections or about your Pc not working at all?
The audio connections have nothing to do with wether or not your Pc will work so you will have to check all of your power connections to make sure that they are seated all the way in and the the video card and ram is also seated all the way in to the slots. Make sure that the atx power cable is pluged into the connector next to the cpu socket and that it is the atx connector and not the pci-e one. Make sure that the 24 pin connector is pluged into the motherboard all the way.


I have removed the plastic tabs from my white connector and all the plugs are all the way in. Could it be that I may have too many CPU/Ghz for my motherboard? I have a PTGD1-LA motherboard and I am not sure if its a (PUFFER M-UL8E) that supports a Pentium 4 3.6 Ghz. or a PTGD1-LA (Grouper-GL8E) that supports a Pentium 4 3.4 Ghz. It seems that the only thing that works is the CPU fan and the top DVD opens and closes. No power light, noothin on my monitor.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2012 3:36:44 AM

First off, your the audio cables that you mentioned (4-pin CD-IN, F_LINE_IN) are not necessary for your PC to boot. Remove them and set them aside for now. Then try to get your system up and running.

Secondly, those audio cables are used to provide input to your sound system from a Front panel audio connection (F_LINE_IN) and from a CD Drive (CD_IN). They are analog inputs to the motherboard and you only need them if you are doing things like recording to your computer from the analog output of the CD drive or an analog audio source such as an MP3 Player through an analog front panel audio input. I can't imagine why anyone would do this since most music is already digitally recorded these days anyway. Besides, if you really need to record sound with your computer, there are much better ways than using the very limited hardware built in to the onboard sound system.

What is the Manufacturer and model of the computer? The motherboard names you mentioned sound like they come from HP, am I right? Also, are you rebuilding your computer, replacing your motherboard, replacing or upgrading your CPU, upgrading memory, replacing the hard drive? What has changed since the last time that it worked or has it ever worked?
m
0
l
a c 180 V Motherboard
February 6, 2012 4:36:13 AM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us...

The PTGD1-LA supports a cpu up to 3.4ghz (Grouper)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=e...

The PTGD1-LA supports up to 3.6ghz (Puffer)

The two boards look almost identical , the northbridge chip on the Puffer is a i915P and the northbridge chip on the Grouper is a i915G , so that is how you will be able to tell which one you have is by seeing what northbridge chip you have , the 915p for puffer and the 915g for grouper.
m
0
l
February 6, 2012 5:59:58 AM

inzone said:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us...

The PTGD1-LA supports a cpu up to 3.4ghz (Grouper)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=e...

The PTGD1-LA supports up to 3.6ghz (Puffer)

The two boards look almost identical , the northbridge chip on the Puffer is a i915P and the northbridge chip on the Grouper is a i915G , so that is how you will be able to tell which one you have is by seeing what northbridge chip you have , the 915p for puffer and the 915g for grouper.


If I remove the heatsink from the Northbridge, whould I be able to tell if it was a i915P or a 915g, and would I then just add thermal compount and resnap in the heatsink? I have a Pentium 4 3.6Ghz CPU. If its a (GROUPER), would I then have to get a
Pentium 4 3.4Ghz CPU and could this be why it is not working?
m
0
l
February 6, 2012 6:16:35 AM

JKatwyopc said:
First off, your the audio cables that you mentioned (4-pin CD-IN, F_LINE_IN) are not necessary for your PC to boot. Remove them and set them aside for now. Then try to get your system up and running.

Secondly, those audio cables are used to provide input to your sound system from a Front panel audio connection (F_LINE_IN) and from a CD Drive (CD_IN). They are analog inputs to the motherboard and you only need them if you are doing things like recording to your computer from the analog output of the CD drive or an analog audio source such as an MP3 Player through an analog front panel audio input. I can't imagine why anyone would do this since most music is already digitally recorded these days anyway. Besides, if you really need to record sound with your computer, there are much better ways than using the very limited hardware built in to the onboard sound system.

What is the Manufacturer and model of the computer? The motherboard names you mentioned sound like they come from HP, am I right? Also, are you rebuilding your computer, replacing your motherboard, replacing or upgrading your CPU, upgrading memory, replacing the hard drive? What has changed since the last time that it worked or has it ever worked?


I have my cables in order (I believe I do anyway). The computer that I have is an HP Palivion a1219h. A thunder storm took it out a few times and the last time I took it to the shop, they said it would cost to much to fix, so I broght it back home. I decided to take a course in computer repair and started buying parts to try it myself. I bought a refurbished PTGD1-LA motherboard, a new Pentium 4 661 CPU, a 2-512MB 184-pin DIMM 64Mx64 DDR PC3200 (kit of 2), and have a 2GB set of memory modules on the way.
Before the computer went out all the way, it would stay on for a short while before shutting down. After I got it home, it would try to boot but not succede. Now I am not sure if it is fixable or not. Any suggestions?
m
0
l
a c 180 V Motherboard
February 6, 2012 4:56:35 PM

You can remove the heatsink to see what the model is on the chip , just be carefull in removing the thermal paste and don't use anything except a paper towel or soft rag because you don't want to rub off the writing on the chip , then just put new thermal paste on it and put the heatsink back.
If it is the Grouper then what I would do is compare the price of the pentium 4 3.4ghz with the price of a new motherboard (puffer) and see which is the better way to go price wise since you have the pentium 4 3.6ghz cpu.
Did you also replace the psu since the thunder storm took out your Pc.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
February 8, 2012 3:43:26 PM

I just found a way for you to tell the two boards apart without removing the heatsink. If you look at the motherboard specs on the pages you posted above, the back panel connectors have one small difference. The Grouper board has one extra connector for a VGA graphics port. The Puffer does not have a VGA port (or any graphics port). Therefore the difference is that the Grouper board has graphics built in and the puffer does not.

I did notice that the puffer claims to have integrated graphics in the specs up above. I suspect that that is an error on HP's part. Wouldn't be the first time I have seen documentation errors on thier website.
m
0
l
February 17, 2012 11:34:26 PM

JKatwyopc said:
I just found a way for you to tell the two boards apart without removing the heatsink. If you look at the motherboard specs on the pages you posted above, the back panel connectors have one small difference. The Grouper board has one extra connector for a VGA graphics port. The Puffer does not have a VGA port (or any graphics port). Therefore the difference is that the Grouper board has graphics built in and the puffer does not.

I did notice that the puffer claims to have integrated graphics in the specs up above. I suspect that that is an error on HP's part. Wouldn't be the first time I have seen documentation errors on thier website.


I put in a new PSU,a Pentium 4 3.4Ghz cpu, and now the monitor comes on. Now all I need to do is to figure out how to set the BIOS.
m
0
l
!