Quieting Down a new build

wowaddict276

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
hi,

i was wondering if you could help me with something. I built a new computer and it works great, but it is very loud. Most of the noise is coming from the case fan by hdd. If you have any suggestions on quiet fans that would be great. The fan is a little bit more than 4.5 inches wide and a little bit more than 4.5 inches long and 1 inch thick. If at all possible if there is a quiet fan with blue LED that would be awesome but i understand that would be asking for a lot. I also have a fan on the top of my case with the same dimensions that i would like to change to make quieter. For icing on the cake i was also going to put sound absorbing foam on the walls of my case too.

thanks

Here's a good tutorial about case fans dealing mostly with what type of bearing to get (sleeve,ball,fluid-dynamic, etc) especially ones used horizontally as in the one/s at the top of your case.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Anatomy-of-Computer-Fans/1039

You might also consider getting a fan controller to lower RPMs and thus noise for your existing fans. For LED fans the Enermax twisters are very quiet, but out of stock at newegg right now.