Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2H with MSI N210-MD512H PAINFULLY Slow Post

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 31, 2010 3:25:48 PM

Hello everyone.

I have the Gigabyte GA-G41M-Es2h MOBO that I am now putting my 3rd video card in to. I know this PCI-Express slot is only running at 4x, but it accepts PCI-E (and is billed as such).

I use this board in a HTPC, and I want to keep video decoding off the main board, so I have tried a couple of different cards. The last one, an ATI Radeon 4550 gave me a 2 inch black border around the 42" HDTV that I use, so I was going to replace it with this.

Now, I cannot boot the system unless I set the Onboard Video as first priority on the BIOS and run a VGA monitor as primary.

If I set the PCI card as primary then I get a POST screen that averages one letter displayed per second, then gets to the drive check and reboots and starts all over again.

I am running:

Windows XP Pro SP3
Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2H Mobo
Pentium D 2.8Ghz
2GB DDR2 Ram

The video card I was replacing booted fine with the Mobo set to boot "Video only if PCI Not Present" and Boot PCI Video Priority.

Please help.
December 31, 2010 4:15:54 PM

Do you have any external hard drives or USB deviced plugged in?
m
l
January 5, 2011 5:37:43 PM

acer0169 said:
Do you have any external hard drives or USB deviced plugged in?

No external drives. The system is not attempting to boot to another drive. We don't even make it the INIT part before reboot. I've seen it make it past mem check once before the reboot.
m
l
!