Sign in with
Your question

Holding down the power button causes off and on 2 sec later

Last response: in Motherboards
February 5, 2012 6:27:28 PM

Hello,
I have an MSI P67A G43 (B3) and a HAF 912 case. If an issue happens and I have to turn off the computer using the power button, then the following happens:

1. hold down the power button for 5 seconds which causes the computer to turn off.
2. within 2-3 seconds the computer just turns itself on without me touching anything.

Please note that the computer is completely silent during the 2-3 seconds that it is off. If during the 2-3 second timeframe that the computer is off I unplug the power supply, then after the 2-3 seconds it powers on for a split second using whatever power was still flowing through the system.

I've tried unplugging the cases's "power sw" plug from the motherboard, and plugging it back in with reverse polarity. (basically just plugging it in the only two ways it could be plugged in to the right spot on the motherboard.

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
February 5, 2012 6:45:24 PM

Intel vPro systems will do that, but they generally only power back on for a few seconds and then turn off again. I think they are establishing a DHCP address for out-of-band management. I'm not familiar with that motherboard though and don't know if it is vPro enabled.
February 7, 2012 5:56:06 PM

Thanks for your reply. Seems very odd that a system would turn itself back on automatically, in effect creating a cold boot restart. How would I be able to find out if my mainboard is an Intel vPro system? And if it was, any ideas on how to stop the computer from turning back on automatically? I've checked all the BIOS settings and have run into a brickwall. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
October 20, 2012 1:36:14 AM

praet0ria said:
Thanks for your reply. Seems very odd that a system would turn itself back on automatically, in effect creating a cold boot restart. How would I be able to find out if my mainboard is an Intel vPro system? And if it was, any ideas on how to stop the computer from turning back on automatically? I've checked all the BIOS settings and have run into a brickwall. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Did you ever figure this out? My MSI Z68MA-G45 (B3) does this but it seems like it usually completely boots up. So in essence holding down the power button is a reset. Im not completely sure cuz usually I just flip the psu switch to stop it. But it's annoying, and then sometimes when I go to resume it will turn on, then shut off and then boot again after a few seconds, maybe that's because I didn't let it do that when it shut off

I'd be very interested to find a fix, might be the case power button? I'll find out in a few days when I get my new case. Thanks for any responses
!