Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Problem with ddr2 RAM

Last response: in Memory
February 5, 2012 6:52:44 PM

Hello, i am using an Asus motherboard ( P5GC-MX/1333). On the specifications of the board it says that it can support DDR2 667 RAM. I have put a DDR2 800 1GB Ram and it works. I wanted to add more RAM. So i bought a DDR2 800 2 GB RAM but when i put the DDR2 800 2Gb ram, my pc does not work.

The references for my RAM ARE:

KVR800D2N6/1G ( for the 1 gb ddr2 800)

KVR800D2N6/2G ( for the 2 gb ddr2 800)

its it because the reference code is not the same that is the second one is 2G while the one which works fine is 1G. Please help me out.

More about : problem ddr2 ram

a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
February 5, 2012 7:48:41 PM

Did you try it with only the 2GB module? RAM modules don't always like to coexist with different modules.

The 2GB module might not like to be under-clocked to 667MHz either. You could try forcing 667MHz in the BIOS, sometimes auto doesn't work right.

You could also try putting the 2GB module in a different slot if there are other spare slots.

The 2GB module might be dead.

The memory slot you put the 2GB module might be damaged.

The motherboard might not support 2GB modules.

The 2GB module might be in the wrong slot. If you have more than 2 slots (ie 4) and the motherboard requires dual-channel you might need to put the second memory module in a specific slot. Usually same-channel slots are a different color from different channels if all slots aren't the same color.
Score
February 5, 2012 8:11:15 PM

There are only two slots for the motherboard. It can support up to 4Gb of RAM according to the specs. So it should support 2GB modules accordingly.

I have tried to put the 2GB RAM alone and i dont get any display. Ive tried it in both slots.

But when i put the 1 GB RAM along with the 2GB RAM i get the bios display. It shows that 3086 Mb of RAM is available. But when my windows loads, a blue screen appears telling me of a hardware failure :( 

What may be the cause of it?

The motherboard is : Asus P5GC-MX/1333
Score
Related resources
February 5, 2012 8:17:23 PM

It is because you are using Ram sticks of different sizes you NEVER mix and match ram. If you want to use both you have to purchase either a second 1gig stick or a second 2 gig stick. They will not work properly if you have a 1gig and 2 gig stick at the same time.
Score

Best solution

a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
February 5, 2012 10:07:06 PM

eggbrook said:
It is because you are using Ram sticks of different sizes you NEVER mix and match ram. If you want to use both you have to purchase either a second 1gig stick or a second 2 gig stick. They will not work properly if you have a 1gig and 2 gig stick at the same time.

Dead wrong. Mixing and maching RAM can fail, but it usually doesn't if the modules are very similar. These modules are identical except for the capacity and capacity differences usually aren't a problem.

I had a machine with two 1GB modules and 2 256MB modules for 2.5GB of RAM for years, no problems whatsoever. I also had another with 3.25GB of RAM and another with 1.25GB.

Sometimes mixing different kits fails, but with identical modules it usually works with DDR2 and DDR3. I don't recommend it if you can avoid it easily, but that 2GB module is dead if it fails even without the 1GB module in the system.

Problems related with mixing are usually different densities, voltages, and timings.

This 2GB module is undoubtedly dead, not having compatibility problems.
February 6, 2012 12:26:35 PM

Hello guys! In fact the DD2 module was dead in fact. The supplier replaced the defective one. Thanks for all your replies. It has been of good use to me.

Cheeers :) 
Score
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2012 1:05:10 PM

Glad to help.
Score
February 6, 2012 2:38:54 PM

Best answer selected by appassamy.
Score
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2012 3:08:23 PM