Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Better to not use Sli for engtx 460 768mb?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 31, 2010 5:22:31 PM

Dont know really how to explain this but i get crappy frame rates in just about every game i play except left for dead 2 and need for speed shift and settings maxed out but mostly my fps in first person shooter (ex: black ops, mw, mw2) i only get 15-30 fps even when i turn vsync off it doesnt improve much i can get to 60fps but drastically drop to 15-30 again and thats with the settings on low i know my cpu is holding me back mostly any suggestions will help and i do plan on upgrading the mobo and cpu as soon as i get the cash but my specs are


Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Hard Drive: 1 TB Total
Video Card: 2x ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP/2DI/768MD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB
Monitor: Acer P244W (max resolution is 1920 x 1080)
Motherboard: XFX nForce® 780i SLI
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V

More about : sli engtx 460 768mb

a c 81 à CPUs
December 31, 2010 5:44:23 PM

I don't see any problem with your hardware.. Just try running those games without SLI.. I could play MW and MW2 without much problems with a single HD 4870 and an E6750 overclocked to 3.2 GHz..
m
0
l
December 31, 2010 7:23:25 PM

Emperus said:
I don't see any problem with your hardware.. Just try running those games without SLI.. I could play MW and MW2 without much problems with a single HD 4870 and an E6750 overclocked to 3.2 GHz..



i have ran them without sli and still seemed to be capped at 15-30 fps for all my games i even took one card out and see what it would do and still the same i also used driver sweeper started in safe mode and reinstalled the 260.99 drivers for nvidia
m
0
l
Related resources
January 2, 2011 12:55:51 AM

i guess no one else?
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2011 1:49:34 AM

Socket 775 wasn't known for its system I/O performance. I could try to explain it but most people just wont take the time to read my post lol but to cut it short you actually take a performance hit when you got that quad. That cpu like all 775 quads isn't a true quad but is instead two dual cores sharing the same substrate and normally each core would have direct access to each others cache but in the quad each die (2 cores each) when the need arises to search for data in the L2 cache often have to make such calls over the system FSB. Between each core that is on the same die there is a dedicated link that makes up for almost all the losses on a dual channel system however it was never intended to support a quad when it was first designed. I will continue if there if any interest in me doing so.

Since you are already running on a heavily overclocked system ( I have the same board in my spar rig) we can still tinker around to see if any extra performance can be had by tightening the timings if head room is available.

m
0
l
January 2, 2011 4:54:50 AM

nforce4max said:
Socket 775 wasn't known for its system I/O performance. I could try to explain it but most people just wont take the time to read my post lol but to cut it short you actually take a performance hit when you got that quad. That cpu like all 775 quads isn't a true quad but is instead two dual cores sharing the same substrate and normally each core would have direct access to each others cache but in the quad each die (2 cores each) when the need arises to search for data in the L2 cache often have to make such calls over the system FSB. Between each core that is on the same die there is a dedicated link that makes up for almost all the losses on a dual channel system however it was never intended to support a quad when it was first designed. I will continue if there if any interest in me doing so.

Since you are already running on a heavily overclocked system ( I have the same board in my spar rig) we can still tinker around to see if any extra performance can be had by tightening the timings if head room is available.



yea that what sucks about quad cores for 775 they are really true quads so i know thats part of the problem, but thanks for sum'in it up though on stock voltage i can get 3.5gig on the quad i have ran occt with it and passed that part and temps still stayed real low the only thing i havent tried to overclock is the ram im not really sure about that so i dont touch it, i guess i just have to find some spare cash and get a better board and processor guess ill go find some suggesttions on that on another forum
m
0
l
a c 81 à CPUs
January 2, 2011 6:57:15 AM

I don't see how the processor architecture is an issue here.. Especially since the tests have been done both with and without SLI.. I definitely won't mind you upgrading to a better setup altogether but I would still say that your current rig is good enough for the games you have mentioned.. You may want to try patching up those games to their latest.. And definitely try some other games as well..
m
0
l
January 2, 2011 7:48:32 AM

i've tried all the games i have and since its through steam they are always updated and patched i get the micro stutter basically if thats what ya wanna call it plus i have the lowend 460's and that the 460's are also the low end of the group but i lucked up on this set up that i have now since money is hard to come by now and days ah well hopefully when intel comes out with the new socket and what not the other will come down to were i can afford them or somethin andfrom what i have read all over the place i3's - i7's were used for the 460's
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2011 10:57:48 AM

From what you listed your system shouldn't break a sweat on the COD games. It is not a matter of upgrading the CPU and/or cards. There is something wrong with your system either on the software or hardware level. My first thought would have been driver issues but you seem to have that covered. You say you tried one card on its own but did you try both cards individually? Even one card should get much higher frame rates than you are talking about so if either of the cards is faulty trying each on its own should reveal that. If both have the issue when isolated I would probably try a fresh install of Windows and see if that helps. If not it must be a hardware issue with something else in the system.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2011 1:13:49 PM

What are the timings, on my xfx 780i (best board that I have ever gotten below $40 new back in 09) I have to tinker with the timings in order to get the most performance. On auto it will the rock solid and stable but the performance isn't going to be as great. I eventually gave up on that rig as the cpu doesn't get enough bandwidth to satisfy my needs.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2011 1:31:06 PM

I really don't think timings are the issue here. Those frames per second numbers are way too far off what he should be getting for it to be something like that.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2011 4:00:11 PM

jyjjy said:
I really don't think timings are the issue here. Those frames per second numbers are way too far off what he should be getting for it to be something like that.


High timings can have a negative impact on system i/o performance (negative impact on throughput while burst is unaffected) which has a penalty on fps but each system is different.

To the op please load up cpu z and post the timings of your ram.
m
0
l
January 2, 2011 8:17:37 PM

nforce4max said:
High timings can have a negative impact on system i/o performance (negative impact on throughput while burst is unaffected) which has a penalty on fps but each system is different.

To the op please load up cpu z and post the timings of your ram.



here is my cpuz, gpuz, and voltage



Uploaded with ImageShack.us
m
0
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2011 8:47:28 PM

Are you running a 1GB stick and a 2GB stick?
m
0
l
January 2, 2011 9:25:15 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Are you running a 1GB stick and a 2GB stick?


nah 3x1 gig sticks
m
0
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2011 10:20:46 PM

Have you tried running just two sticks in dual channel mode to see what that does for your fps?
m
0
l
January 2, 2011 10:54:45 PM

no not yet cause most of my games require atleast 2 gigs to run specially black ops but i could try anyways ill let ya know in just a few moments

Edit: Well i tried with duel channel and i got 20-30fps in some areas and other areas i got almost 50fps on max settings except for AA i stuck to 4x
m
0
l
!