HD3870 X2 on Asus M2N-E SLI motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agarenas

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
I bought an ATI Radeon HD 3870 x2 1GB GDDR3 Video Card PCI-Express x16 graphics card and it has no video output. The computer boots ok and comes up with Windows XP OK. Will this card work with a Asus M2N-E SLI motherboard? According to the motherboard manual it uses 2 single GPU cards for SLI on in a PCIe X16 socket and the other in an PCIe X1 socket. Therefore I am not so sure this will work with a single dual GPU card.

Agarenas

A BIOS upgrade fixed the problem. Thanks for everyones help without help from this site and the people here I would probably still be spinning my wheels. How do you get the folder in front of the message to say fixed. I will try and find out.

Agarenas

Solution
ATI cards do work on Nvidia chipsets and have been using them for years. Chances are that you bought the card used and they are known to have numerous issues. Such problems as dead pci-e switch, bad vram and power vrm phases to dead gpus. You should either return it or sell it but we could go through a few rounds to see if we could get it running. What is you psu, not just wats.
ATI cards do work on Nvidia chipsets and have been using them for years. Chances are that you bought the card used and they are known to have numerous issues. Such problems as dead pci-e switch, bad vram and power vrm phases to dead gpus. You should either return it or sell it but we could go through a few rounds to see if we could get it running. What is you psu, not just wats.

Solution

xaigeta

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010

then i stand corrected from i been told then and sorry cause i looked up if i could use radeon on my 780i and the answer was no i was going on what i been told by several ppl on nforce boards apperantly they are dumba$$'s then lol so sorry to mis inform then ;)

edt: read here in Toms that ya can use 1 card of radeon on a sli board but ya can use crossfire since its an sli board http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253892-30-will-780i-mobo-work-hd4870its not the same board but sli play a factor in it

Agarenas

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010

Yes it was a refurbished card, I am sorry to hear they have a lot of problems. I am not well versed in the internet and I don't know what a psu is, if you could informe me then maybe we could try and see what is wrong with it. I don't have a site and I hate to give out my email over a public connection. But I thank you for the information.

Agarenas

Agarenas

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010

No problem I get misinformed all the time. Seems to be a common problem here on the internet, so I take everything with a grain of salt until I can verify it. So don't worry about it no biggy.

Agarenas

Agarenas

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010

Ok i think i know what you are referring to by psu is the power supply unit. Duh. OK here is what I have XION Power Real 800W ATX Power Supply
MPN: XON-800P14N

It is suppose to be SLI ready and has 2 sets of 6 pin and 8 pin plugs for the SLI cards. I bought the power supply becuase of this SLI video card as I had a 450 watt that would not work with this card.

Does this help?

Agarenas

Cpujunkie

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
ATI cards do work on Nvidia chipsets how ever they will not work as a pair unless the board is crossfire ready just like Sli will not work on a board that is not Sli ready.

Alot of the new generation boards are coming out with cross hybrid boards that do support both crossfire or Sli how ever you will be paying a pretty price if you invest into those such boards.

I am a Sli user and I made a mistake of buying a crossfire board made by ASROCK the 890 GT extreme and was told it did support Sli yet it did not. Btw Stay away from ASROCK if you can because thier support is terrible and the only way to contact them is through the website email which they will tell you to return it to the vender you bought it from.

Agarenas

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010

Thank you for the link and information. The power supply has been running now for a month nonstop and I haven't had any issues. I hope XION has fixed their problems.

Ellypho on bleepingcomputer seems to have had the same problem I am having. I will make and account there and contact him to see if the reflash on his BIOS fixed the problem. I hate to flash new BIOS but have done it when necessary. I hope my floppy works LOL! Well I would greatly like to thank you as you have been very helpfull. I think I will always contact this site before I buy anything again.

Regards,
Agarenas

Agarenas

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks for the info on crossfire and ASROCK. I only have one of the HD3870 boards and not a pair. Found a reference on another site that is having the same problem. Again thanks for your reply. I will keep it in mind.

Agarenas4

Agarenas

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010

Ok a BIOS upgrade fixed the problem. I want to thank everyone for their help. Without the help here I would probably still be spinning my wheels. Thanks again everyone.

Agarenas

Agarenas

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Well this is a tricky problem, that is selecting the best answer as none of the replies that are marked with pick the best answer are the answer. LOL The answer is simply that the motherboard, an ASUS M2N-E SLI card, needed to have the BIOS upgraded to revision 1301. Ofcourse I had to update the Catalyst Control Center and the drivers to get the board to run after the system BIOS update. Normal driver updates for a new board.
You were right about the card having problems. As I started to use it started displaying the blue screen of death stating that the driver for the video card had gone into an infinate loop, and had to be reset. Then as the day went along it got so bad that it hung up the system as the Windows boot was in progress. Got to identifying the SCSI devices and then hung up. I am writing the people who sold it to me but I suspect that they are not going to be helpful as they have been putting me off waiting for me to find out what is wrong. It is the people at Compeve Corp. that sold me the board. I hope you haven't heard bad things about them but with my experience I suspect you may have. I hope I didn't break any rules by mentioning their name.
Oh and I will be around for some time as I am retired and love to read this site to keep up with the latest news. I have used this site for quite some time now. Since the mid 90s i believe.

Agarenas

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010

I looked on the internet and Compuvest and Compeve are 2 different companies. When I go to look for reviews on Compeve I find the reviews to be very mix. So I am not sure what to think about them. I notified them about the problem on Saturday and am waiting for a response. We will see what happens later this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.