Will my power supply make it?

I'm about to make a minor upgrade or two and wondering it my current psu can handle it. Its a little under a year old but I run it at least at idle pretty constantly. It is an Antec Neopower 430w; rebranded Seasonic.

Ratings-
+3.3V@22A,
+5V@14A,
+12V1@16A, +12V2@16A, +12V3@16A,
-12V@0.8A,
+5VSB@2.5A

Here is what I'm going to run it with-

C2D E7500
Gigabyte GA-G41M-Combo Intel G41 (if any one has any experience oc'ing with this board I'd appreciate it)
Zotac GTX 460 1GB
Bluray read only drive
DVD-RW drive
7200 rpm 500gb hd
3 120?mm case fans.
Wireless keyboard/mouse

Would like to oc to right around 3.5 or so if possible. Will it hold out or should I wait to oc until I can upgrade?
9 answers Last reply
More about will power supply make
  1. no its not sufficient...
    if u can spare abt 5k-6k for a new psu i would recommend
    xfx core edition pro 650W or
    cooler master silent pro gold 700W
    both psu is way more efficient. go for it
  2. Only a year old, it's fine for those specs.
  3. ha ha lol these days there is no limit 2 how much stupid a guy can be....
    are u crazzy delluser...u must be else u wont suggest gtx 460 in 430W psu :P
  4. Oh how I love the noobs
  5. ^lul
    Yeah, you should be fine.
    rko, if I was building a new PC I'd suggest 500, but he'll be OK.
  6. The total power draw of that system is 300-340 watts; the PSU is more than sufficient.
  7. Noobs. :pfff:

One of my systems has an OC'd Q9550, 4 GB RAM, a GTX260 - a card with similar power requirements to a GTX460, a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard, 3 hard drives totaling 2.6 TB and an opticaldrive, and a Soundblaster card all powered by a Corsair 750TX.

Running 3 instances of Prime95 to load the CPU and 3DMark06 to load the GPU, it pulls 375 watts from the wall as measured by my Kill-a-Watt meter. Figuring 80% efficiency, the system pulls 300 watts from the PSU.

Because you have a C2D instead of a quad and you don't have 3 hard drives, your power demands will be a bit less (I'd estimate 250 - 270 watts).

Now, overclocking: The G41 chipset is an economy chipset with a limited ability to push the FSB freq. I have not worked with the Combo (can use either DDR2 or DDR3 memory), but I have a couple of G41-ES2L's in office type PC's.

The upper limit of the FSB freq is around 350 - 360 MHz. With an E7500, that will give you an upper limit of about 3.8 GHz. Not too bad for a cheap system.

This should be your first stop.
    Core2 Overclocking Guide
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-overclocking-guide

Shadow's Gigabyte motherboard OC guide:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-245679_11_0.html
    It's for an EP35-DS3L but all the Gigabyte Core2 BIOS's are similar.

Take your memory settings off Auto and set the RAM voltage to factory recommended specs. If you are running DDR2, set your System Memory Multiplier to 2.0 if you can, or to the lowest value possible - might be 2.40 or 2.50 with some boards. With DDR3 RAM, I think you need to set it to 4.0 for an FSB:RAM ratio of 1:1.

Thermal management is easier with a C2D than a quad. If you are careful with core voltage increases, you may be able to get by with the stock cooler.

Keep your core voltage under 1.45 volts. That's actually pretty likely because the limiting factor of your overclock is going to be the motherboard. Keep your load temps under 70 C as measured with either RealTemp or CoreTemp.
  8. A 430w made be good for all you pros, but me myself wouldn't use less then a good 500w (or even a 600) if you plan on doing sli later or adding more devices at a later time.
  9. ^ if and when the OP decides to upgrade, then the cost of the new PSU should be taken into consideration as well. for right now, that PSU is fine, there's no need to drop 50-70 usd for something that is not going to improve performance.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product