My power surge melt down! PLease advice!

daniel266

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
Hi i have a amd 1090 t occ 3.7 8gb ram gtx470 Amp! edition and mi power surge MElt down
My pc start to reboot and turn off randomly, first i thought on the psu a cooler master 650w
i buy a corsarir 850w profesional series but after that i discover the real problem, the power surge was melting(the fuse on it , i cant even replace it it has meltdown with the plastic and cant be removed

i first thought it was the psu a cooler master 650w and replaced by a corsair 850 profesional series ..
Mi question is what kind of power surge should i buy?? any reference form neweg or something ?? any one with a power hungry pc can answer me please!

THX! in advance and im very sorry form my english but on 2 days i have my final presentation .!!

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Just get a replacement, as the surge protector is only active when there is a surge. Maybe make sure it is rated for over 800 W, or 7 A. Or don't use one – most decent PSUs (which includes the Corsair) will be fine without a surge protector.

Don't use cheap surge protectors.

The MOV's (Metal Oxide Varistor), used to provide the surge protection from line voltage spikes, will lose their ability to do so over time. Once that surge protection capability is lost all you're left with is a power strip with a fuse or circuit breaker.

What country is the computer being used in?

Are you looking for a surge protector only?

I use an APC 1300VA UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) with my system because I don't want to lose any of my work during a power interruption.

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009

First, you have no reason to think an 800 watt supply is necessary. Most computers consume less than 200 watts - never more than 300. Power hungry computers often consume no more than 350 watts peak - 200 average. 800 watts is how to recommend a minimally sufficient supply to computer assemblers who have no idea how electricity works.

You also have no reason to believe a surge exists. Fuses blow when something in hardware is defective. Blows so that defective hardware does not cause a fire and kill humans. Do not fix defective hardware with a plug-in device. Replace the defective hardware.

I suspect you are confusing a UPS (only to protect unsaved data from a blackout) with why myths promote it as (a surge protector). UPS also does nothing for defective hardware that blows fuses.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

Wrong. They don't even try. They just short any voltages over a certain point to ground. And by doing so prevent the voltage reaching the attached equipment.