XFX HD5870 Too Hot!

firenze123

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Hi I just had a quick question.

According to HWMonitor, my XFX HD5870 is idling @67C and from my brief research on the interwebs, this is too high. I haven't overclocked at all, everything is stock. What is the cause for this high temp and how can I fix it? It's fan seems to be rotating at max speed, and it is quite loud.

Please help!

Thanks,

~Firenze

Solution
On the internet the GPU usage should not be at 73% it is in 2d and should be throttled down. If the temp stays at 67° under load points to a software glitch in the monitoring software and I would not take those readings seriously (idle or load)

firenze123

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
While playing BF:BC2 the temps stayed the same at around 67C...So I guess I'm wondering why the GPU is going all out when it doesn't need too..

Sorry I'm not good with the technical mumbo jumbo...

Anything I can do??

Also, according to MSI Afterburner the GPU Usage is at ~73%, this is when I'm not playing any games, just internet.

MSI Afterburner also reports that the fan is running at 63% (this is during idle, with the above GPU usage ^^)

Also: Core clock is 855 and Memory is 1200

Thanks

~Firenze

On the internet the GPU usage should not be at 73% it is in 2d and should be throttled down. If the temp stays at 67° under load points to a software glitch in the monitoring software and I would not take those readings seriously (idle or load)

Solution