Problem Relating to Borg Prisoner Assimilation

An EE player drops 400K Stormer prisoners via life pod onto an
*apparently* empty planet. He also drops 10K EE troops and some EE
fighters and mechs simulatenously via assault pod. (Presumably, an
exercise to generate Bad Blood.)

However, I have a one colonist Borg base on the planet that the EE
player does not scan. Next turn, there are 400,001 Borg colonists and
10K Borg troops on my base, and no sign of the EE fighters or mechs.

Seems pretty unfair to the EE. Any idea what the problem is? Bug?
Seems like the EE forces are somehow getting caught up in the Borg
prisoner assimilation event.

-- Karnak Prime, proud owner of 400K new Borg colonists, 10K new Borg
troops, and one very tired Borg drone
18 answers Last reply
More about problem relating borg prisoner assimilation

    I think the pod "somehow" docked at your base. This way fighters are
    compleately destroyed (because they can not change race) and all borg
    prisoners are converted in Borg...
    The question is how the pod decided to dock at your base. If set to
    drop, it will drop at the base or the planet as it seems.

    Anyway dropping 400k prisoners on a empty planet is in most cases not
    professional.
    The proper way is to beam down a person and set the pods to dock that
    base.

    They did dock to the base.

    Pods dropped on a planet without a dock command set to the planet seem
    to always default to a base present.

    Thank him for the new drones and tell him that next time he should set
    the pod to dock target 'planet' if he suspects or even if he doesn't
    suspect a base there to avoid this again. It's the least you can do
    for the present he gave you.

    This is the way it has always worked for me... has anyone had a
    different experience?

    "Pods dropped on a planet without a dock command set to the planet seem
    to always default to a base present."

    This would seem to explain it. Thanks for the responses!

    -- Karnak Prime

    > The proper way is to beam down a person and set the pods to dock that
    > base.

    If you want to higher your bad blood higher by killing enemy colonits in GC
    this is the wrong way. Then you don´t need the enemy colonists as prisoners
    but in a base on the planet.

    Greetings
    Sebastian

    That does indeed seem to explain it. As the 'victim' in this, it's nice
    to find some closure.

    ps The intent was to drop the innocent prisoners (I mean - evil doers)
    on an empty planet to set them free. At the same time I dropped an
    Assualt pod to form a firebase from which to bring them to justice the
    next turn. The worst I was expecting was for the evil doers to end up
    as prisoners in my base again. Doh!

    thanks for the info!

    -VS

    You are so right Sir Dave of Smooth.
    Sadly I have a different opinion.
    You would need to differ between life and assault pods on the one side
    and all other pods on the other side.
    Having the complete base log stated will solve the issue, and unless
    their is stated that a pod did land on that base, this is totally
    impossible.
    In my unholy opinion it is a base merge issue, as the life and assault
    pod did make two different bases of the same race and assimilation did
    happen before base merging...

    david_bandy@hotmail.com wrote:
    > They did dock to the base.
    >
    > Pods dropped on a planet without a dock command set to the planet seem
    > to always default to a base present.
    >
    > Thank him for the new drones and tell him that next time he should set
    > the pod to dock target 'planet' if he suspects or even if he doesn't
    > suspect a base there to avoid this again. It's the least you can do
    > for the present he gave you.
    >
    > This is the way it has always worked for me... has anyone had a
    > different experience?

    Yes I can relate to this occurrence,
    In Solar Explorerer on Rc-World, I play the Com and had a v small base
    on a planet when the Birds dropped in with some 400,000 colonists
    50,000 troops and some crew...using a pod drop no doubt from a cloaked
    ship I didnt know was coming.

    Anyway...I got a heap of prisoners...surprise...:)

    Cheers.

    Nameless wrote:
    > Having the complete base log stated will solve the issue, and unless
    > their is stated that a pod did land on that base, this is totally
    > impossible.

    Sadly, the RST file has already been overwritten, and thus I cannot
    provide it.

    However, despite the exact mechanism by which the events described
    above occurred, and regardless of whether it was avoidable or not by
    careful use of commands, the end result is somewhat disturbing to me,
    as 10K EE troops were instantly converted to 10K Borg troops by a
    single colonist. If this would not have occurred if the single
    colonist was not a Borg, i.e. if due in part to the Borg assimilation
    ability, then I am not too concerned, because such personnel conversion
    is the usual consequence of assimilation. However, if this occurred
    because of some non-Borg-specific consequence of pod docking or base
    merge sequencing, then it would appear to be a "troop conversion
    mechanism" that could be exploited, and considered a bug and removed.

    -- Karnak Prime

    Karnak Prime schrieb:
    > An EE player drops 400K Stormer prisoners via life pod onto an
    > *apparently* empty planet. He also drops 10K EE troops and some EE
    > fighters and mechs simulatenously via assault pod. (Presumably, an
    > exercise to generate Bad Blood.)
    >
    > However, I have a one colonist Borg base on the planet that the EE
    > player does not scan. Next turn, there are 400,001 Borg colonists and
    > 10K Borg troops on my base, and no sign of the EE fighters or mechs.
    >
    > Seems pretty unfair to the EE. Any idea what the problem is? Bug?
    > Seems like the EE forces are somehow getting caught up in the Borg
    > prisoner assimilation event.
    >
    > -- Karnak Prime, proud owner of 400K new Borg colonists, 10K new Borg
    > troops, and one very tired Borg drone

    By reading the other postings in the thread it looks for me like a bug.
    Cause 1 Borg can not assimilate such many people in one turn and the EE
    seems not to give the Pods dock command to the Borg Base and the Pods
    should make a Base on the nearest planet and not nearest Base (maybe of an
    enemy).

    So IMO you should sent a bug report with the needed file to Tim.

    Bye-Bye JoSch.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Here's how I think it happened...

    *Theory*
    When you give prisoners to the Borg, they immediately assimilate them
    all.

    Results... Pod docked to Borg base so all of them befome Borg,
    regardless of #.

    Now you have 400K Borg to assimilate the enemy base on planet later
    that round... plenety to get the 10K troops.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    david_bandy@hotmail.com schrieb:
    > Here's how I think it happened...
    >
    > *Theory*
    > When you give prisoners to the Borg, they immediately assimilate them
    > all.
    >

    > Results... Pod docked to Borg base so all of them befome Borg,
    > regardless of #.
    >
    > Now you have 400K Borg to assimilate the enemy base on planet later
    > that round... plenety to get the 10K troops.

    But as I understand it, he not gave the Pods to the Borg (order to dock
    with the Borg Base), so why get the Borg the people ? Seems me a bug.

    Bye-Bye JoSch.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Just logic of the game...

    Pods over planets with orbital thrusters off and no dock targets set
    will default dock to a base on planet... choosing your own first.

    Is it a Bug? *shrug* Depends how you look at it. I expect this
    behavior as it has always been this way. I just always set a dock
    target if I want it to go somewhere specific. If not, then since I
    don't care where it goes, who am I to complain? Besides, it saves me
    time when shipping things to Allies. If it was changed, then it would
    help in this particular situation, but be annoying in others. Which is
    the 'right' way? I guess the answer is... 'It Depends'.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    "Pods over planets with orbital thrusters off and no dock targets set
    will default dock to a base on planet... choosing your own first. "

    Indeed? I thought you have to actually order the pod to drop to your
    own base to make it do so. Isn't a pod without any orders and with
    thrusters off still keeping itself in orbit? At least when it was NOT
    launched this turn - a boosted (so that the thrusters are off) pod will
    land the same turn. Funny difference.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    david_bandy@hotmail.com schrieb:
    > Just logic of the game...
    >
    > Pods over planets with orbital thrusters off and no dock targets set
    > will default dock to a base on planet... choosing your own first.
    >

    > Is it a Bug? *shrug* Depends how you look at it. I expect this
    > behavior as it has always been this way. I just always set a dock
    > target if I want it to go somewhere specific. If not, then since I
    > don't care where it goes, who am I to complain? Besides, it saves me
    > time when shipping things to Allies. If it was changed, then it would
    > help in this particular situation, but be annoying in others. Which is
    > the 'right' way? I guess the answer is... 'It Depends'.

    Sorry, but the description is for all Pods but Life / Assault Pods are
    often handel different and worked different in the past for me. And it
    think it is meant but not written "your own Base on planet" ?

    Otherwise my allies had get milliarden of new colos when I made a new Base
    at their planets, if my Pods would dock with their Base and not form a new
    one. So in the past it worked others and as espected and so it is for me a
    bug now maybe by assimilation or Base metrging or ? or the EE make
    something wrong and maybe ordered his Pods to dock with the Base or so.

    Example, before 5 or 6 turns I send aut a Life Pod to an allied world
    where he have a Base, only Boost Target used. As expected the Pod form a
    new Base on the planet, there are now 2 Bases, that from my allie and my.
    If you where right, my Pod should have docked to the allied Base and this
    don't happen. Or some time before I drop a Assault Pod on an enemy Robo HW
    and a new Base was made and not the Robo get my people in his Base.

    IIRC I have Sup Pods over planets with no Bases from me and they stay in
    orbit and don't dock with the Base on the planet. Must give him dock order
    for the allied Base that he lands there and the Pod don't make it
    automatically.

    Bye-Bye JoSch.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Right, right... I'm sorry. I appologize to any I've confused
    (including myself). :-)

    I was talking specifically about the movement and exchange of prisoners
    but was very, very unclear in my posts.

    I guess looking at the logic of other pods, this behavior does seem
    like a bug. LIke someone said before... 'Guys that have been playing
    for a while sometimes have difficulty spotting a bug because to them
    it's just the way things are'.

    Now I'm going to have to run some SIM's of this and see what happens...
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Here's another very interesting development:

    I Dusted Off the Borg base mentioned above with a captured Star
    Destroyer, and ended up with a Dust Off Pod with Borg troops (as
    expected) in it, but was surprised to also find 30 Borg Assimilators
    (Type I) in the Dust Off Pod.

    I had no such mechs on the base before the events described above began
    (remember, it was a one-colonist Borg outpost created by a Probe before
    the EE pods came crashing down on it). And, no such mechs were visible
    on the base the turn the 400K new colonists and 10K troops became
    visible on the Borg base overview.

    Viscous Sid: Care to tell us if your assault pod had 30 Battlebots
    (Type I) in it? [Sid, I may have the number wrong, as I am doing this
    from my bad memory, but anyway I'm pretty sure it was 20 or 30.]

    Either way, this would seem to indicate a bug.

    -- Karnak Prime (who wishes he had more time to sim this)
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    david_bandy@hotmail.com schrieb:
    > Right, right... I'm sorry. I appologize to any I've confused
    > (including myself). :-)
    >
    > I was talking specifically about the movement and exchange of prisoners
    > but was very, very unclear in my posts.
    >

    > I guess looking at the logic of other pods, this behavior does seem
    > like a bug. LIke someone said before... 'Guys that have been playing
    > for a while sometimes have difficulty spotting a bug because to them
    > it's just the way things are'.
    >
    > Now I'm going to have to run some SIM's of this and see what happens...

    Please tell us or send a bug report to Tim if you think you found a bug there.

    Bye-Bye JoSch.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Hmmm - very odd indeed. My (highly suspect) memory tells me there were
    100 Type I mechs, though it could quite possibly have been less

    and yes, i deserve to be beaten for letting a borg get his manipulators
    on a ship with dustoff pod capabilities

    -vs

    Karnak Prime wrote:
    > Here's another very interesting development:
    >
    > I Dusted Off the Borg base mentioned above with a captured Star
    > Destroyer, and ended up with a Dust Off Pod with Borg troops (as
    > expected) in it, but was surprised to also find 30 Borg Assimilators
    > (Type I) in the Dust Off Pod.
    >
    > I had no such mechs on the base before the events described above began
    > (remember, it was a one-colonist Borg outpost created by a Probe before
    > the EE pods came crashing down on it). And, no such mechs were visible
    > on the base the turn the 400K new colonists and 10K troops became
    > visible on the Borg base overview.
    >
    > Viscous Sid: Care to tell us if your assault pod had 30 Battlebots
    > (Type I) in it? [Sid, I may have the number wrong, as I am doing this
    > from my bad memory, but anyway I'm pretty sure it was 20 or 30.]
    >
    > Either way, this would seem to indicate a bug.
    >
    > -- Karnak Prime (who wishes he had more time to sim this)

Games Video Games