Sata connections for Intels Rapid Storage Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

NormCameron

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
I have a ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe. What sata connections do I use to connect Intels Rapid Storage Technology? I read on this board that a Sata 3 hdd performs just as well on a SAta 2 connection?

NormCameron

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Thank you very much! If I add a SATA 3 Hdd to the Blue intel connections, would I get much of a performance hit??. I have a OCZ 160G Vertex III Series SSD for my operating system which would go on the Intel Grey Connection and I also have an OCZ 60G Vertex III Series SSD that I was going to use with Intel Rapid Storage by coupling it with a Seagate SATA3 1TB 7200RPM 32mb Cache. I looked at using the Marvel Hyper duo but most of what I read suggest I should stick with Intel. Any suggestions?? I also have 3 2TB Sata 2 HDD's for storage.

My system is

Asus P8Z68 DELUXE-GEN3 motherboard
Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155 3.4GHz CPU
G Skill 8G(2x4G) DDR3 1600Mhz PC12800
eEVA GTX470 Graphics Cards (2) SLI
Creative Soundblaster X-FI
1 PCIe to 4 USB Ports
CoolerMaster 1200W Extreme Power Plus (ATX)

The dark blue ports are the Marvell sata3 and the light grey is the Intel sata3 , with the light blue being the sata2 ports.
After looking at the Asus web site and the specifications tab for that motherboard the way they listed the ISRT it was like they were saying to connect the two drives to be used for the ISRT to the Marvell ports.
The picture that I saw of a connection for the ISRT showed the two drives being connected to the same sata ports on the motherboard and the ports were labeled for the ISRT.

NormCameron

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
This raises a problem of course, I understand from stuff I've read that the Marvell ports are not as good as the intel?? Could you send me a a link for the picture you were looking at please. And thank you for your time.

You should be having the Mobo User manual on you. It has all of the connectors and configurations beautifully explained.
Although, I don't reply on pictures to tell me what is where , mainly because most of the literature will have the same standard pictures. It is better to read the specifications printed next to sockets and slots for a more precise understanding.
Here are the specifications of the board.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68_DELUXE/#specifications

And here's the Mob Manuals Download Link
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z68_DELUXE/E6614_P8Z68_Deluxe.zip

NormCameron

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

Thank you for your reply. I have the manual, and have searched the Asus website. Neither of these provide any real information other than to say IRST only works on intel ports. My question is is it better to use the Marvel Hyperduo or Intel RST with my 64gig SSD on the Sata 6 and the Sata 3 HDD on a SAta 2 port???.

NormCameron

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Marvell HyperDuo
Storing all consumer data on SSDs is costly and using the hybrid approach of manually combining an HDD and SSD doesn’t offer a true solution for achieving consistent performance acceleration in applications like gaming, video and rich media or I/O intensive programs.

Marvell HyperDuo solves this dilemma. A breakthrough embedded technology for 6Gb/s SATA controllers, HyperDuo is configured with at least 1 hard disk drive (HDD) and up to 3 solid state drives (SSD). By embedding automated tiering technology into the chipset that goes into the world’s leading motherboards, home network attached storage (NAS), set-top boxes and desktop HBAs, HyperDuo achieves immediate performance value from day one. The technology uses intelligent algorithms to automatically migrate hot data to SSDs, while enabling all data to be safely stored on larger capacity SATA HDDs. Thus HyperDuo enables near-SSD performance at HDD capacities.
Features:

Enables over 80% of SSD performance at less than 1/3 the cost
RAID: RAID 0/1 firmware running on ARM-based CPU
Enables two modes:
Safe Mode: Automated mirroring from SSD to HDD for maximum protection
Capacity Mode: SSD capacity augments the hard drive to optimize cost efficiency
GUI: Flexible, intuitive administration console for power users
For 88SE9230 series and higher:
Multiple SSD’s (up to 3 SSDs + 1 HDD) to scale to higher IOPS, throughput, and capacity
Concurrent HyperDuo with RAID 0/1 on HDDs for capacity and data protection (ie. 2 SSDs + RAID0/1 on dual HDDs)
On-the-fly AES 128/256-bit encryption for connected SATA SSD/HDD devices

Once the two drives are set up, the card itself will detect frequently used data (hot files) and move them to the SSD part. However, there's also a software application that allows users to proactively move any portion of the data to the SSD, as long as it's smaller than the total capacity of the SSD. For example, you can choose to move an entire Office suite if you want Word, Excel, and so on to load really fast. And by "moving," all you have to do is add that suite to the list of prioritized applications; there's no actual data copying/moving involved from the user's perspective.

In essence, this solution allows users to use the SSD most of the time while keeping the hard drive as just a storage space for idle files and documents, which don't need to load very fast. In other words, most of the time, you use the computer as though it only had an SSD drive, hence the much-improved performance. The demo showed that the read and write speeds of the hybrid solution, in Capacity Mode, are basically those of the SSD drive. The larger the SSD is, the less frequently you'll need to access the hard drive.

Read more: http://ces.cnet.com/8301-32254_1-20027657-283.html#ixzz1lhH2MdNd

Status
Not open for further replies.