Computer turning on but nothing....

demetrius202

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
So I just put together all the components of my very first home-built computer. I flipped the switch and was happy that nothing exploded but then that's now my problem: nothing happens. No Bios test, nothing. So I'm in the process of taking it apart again and checking all my connections. The fans turn on, the lights turn on, but a big caput. Things that pop up in my head are if my psu isnt providing enough juice (I checked this before on multiple sites and I have more than the recommended for my components) or my room just doesnt have the power (the lights in my room dim a bit when I turn on the computer). Please help!

CPU: i7 2600K
Mobo: Asus P8P67 Pro
Tower: HAF 932
PSU: Corsair 750TX
GPU: Nvidia GTX 460 1 GB
RAM: G Skill 8GB (4G * 2 DDR3 1600Mhz)
HDD: Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB
SSD: Vertex2 60GB

:cry:

becandl

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

Your power supply is more than sufficient in terms of providing enough power. I would check to make sure the RAM is seated well and making connection, and same with the video card. Are you getting anything on the monitor at all?

demetrius202

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011

Ok I will do. And to answer your question: I'm not getting jack crap on my monitor. Doesnt recognize any signal from my gpu like its not even there. So it may be a loose connection? I've got the big beetch open now taking a looksy, will just remove all connections and smash them in. Dont really wanna touch my cpu though.

becandl

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Even if you didn't have a CPU in you should still be getting a signal because the motherboard would show the POST or something to that effect. My guess is its something with your videocard having a loose connection. Maybe check to make sure the power cables on it are plugged in and are plugged in all the way and make sure it is seated well in its socket.

demetrius202

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Ok. Now what >.<
Now it turns on then shuts down (on its own)....comes back on, shuts down....then turns on and nothing happens. This is after opening it up and making sure all the connections are secure. Is my mobo just dead?

1tym

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008

Before you start pulling out your hair go through this checklist and perform every step.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

Come back if you still have problems. Good luck

demetrius202

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
And the fking idiot award goes to: <---- this guy
I swear not a fking word on any of the predownloaded mobo/haf case manuals before building this thing about the standoff screws. Pretty doggone important to know. I'm in the process of taking everything down but my question is this: is my mobo now fried now that I had no standoffs?

1tym

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008

Not necessarily. Lots of people have made the mistake of forgetting to use standoffs or have one standoff touching the motherboard on the back and their systems still work after correcting the mistake. Only way to find out is to put everything back together. I would breadboard it though IE put it together outside of the case on a non conductive surface first. Just makes troubleshooting easier. Good luck.

No. No CPU, no boot. Without a CPU, you cannot execute the boot code in the BIOS.

Breadboard - that will help isolate any kind of case problem you might have.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboarding

I have tested the following beep patterns on Gigabyte, eVGA, and ECS motherboards. Other BIOS' may be different, but they all use a single short beep for a successful POST.

Breadboard with just motherboard, CPU & HSF, case speaker, and PSU.

Make sure you plug the CPU power cable in. The system will not boot without it.

I always breadboard a new build. It takes only a few minutes, and you know you are putting good parts in the case once you are finished.

You can turn on the PC by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case power switch goes to. You should hear a series of long, single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence indicates a problem with (in most likely order) the PSU, motherboard, or CPU. Remember, at this time, you do not have a graphics card installed so the load on your PSU will be reduced.

If no beeps:
Running fans and drives and motherboard LED's do not necessarily indicate a good PSU. In the absence of a single short beep, they also do not indicate that the system is booting.

At this point, you can sort of check the PSU. Try to borrow a known good PSU of around 550 - 600 watts. That will power just about any system with a single GPU. If you cannot do that, use a DMM to measure the voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=youtube_gdata

A way that might be easier is to use the main power plug. Working from the back of the plug where the wires come out, use a bare paperclip to short between the green wire and one of the neighboring black wires. That will do the same thing with an installed PSU. It is also an easy way to bypass a questionable case power switch.

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.

If the system beeps:
If it looks like the PSU is good, install a memory stick. Boot. Beep pattern should change to one long and several short beeps indicating a missing graphics card.

Silence, long single beeps, or series of short beeps indicate a problem with the memory. If you get short beeps verify that the memory is in the appropriate motherboard slots.

Insert the video card and connect any necessary PCIe power connectors. Boot. At this point, the system should POST successfully (a single short beep). Notice that you do not need keyboard, mouse, monitor, or drives to successfully POST.
At this point, if the system doesn't work, it's either the video card or an inadequate PSU. Or rarely - the motherboard's PCIe interface.

Now start connecting the rest of the devices starting with the monitor, then keyboard and mouse, then the rest of the devices, testing after each step. It's possible that you can pass the POST with a defective video card. The POST routines can only check the video interface. It cannot check the internal parts of the video card.

demetrius202

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Thanks for the input guys, you guys are awesome
Right now I'm at the point of breadboarding (thanks jsc, although took a while to figure out what hsf meant, heh), and have been trying to research it so I dont mess things up further
I get that I can do it with my mobo on the antistatic packaging, but is there a speaker that I'll have to buy to hear the beeps? Dont see that the haf case has a speaker connection
Also, how do I 'short' the pins to turn on the power? Just placing a metal item (e.g. screwdriver) between the appropriate pins? I dont know which pins those are.

Thanks again for all the help