Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card needed to rip DVD?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 1, 2011 4:05:33 AM

Just built this machine a few weeks ago and it's working great.

Since I only needed a basic computing machine I didn't feel a graphics card was necessary.

I've been watching and streaming home movies (shot with my digital camera) and other high-resolution videos to my X-Box 360 without issues, but whenever I try to watch a backup rip of one of my DVDs it ends up choppy. Doesn't matter the format (avi, mpeg) or the resolution (1080p, 720p, TV quality 680 by whatever), it's the exact same kind of chop no matter how I view it.

This means to me that the problem is in the rip of the DVD. Is this a card issue? Is there just not enough juice to rip it smoothly or is this a strict processor/memory issue?

Using the Freemake Video Converter for the rips.

Thanks,

Gib
a c 218 U Graphics card
January 1, 2011 4:38:27 AM

What motherboard make/model are you using? Also, are you running the integrated video vendor's (ATI, Nvidia, or Intel) drivers or the "stock" drivers from Windows? If stock, download the latest version directly from ati.com or nvidia.com or intel.com and then install. That may help.

BTW, the video card has nothing to do with the rip process itself. Your issue is a play back issue. Just, FYI. It may be a driver issue (above) or simply a weak integrated video adapter.

Good luck!
m
l
January 1, 2011 2:20:46 PM

My motherboard is an AS Rock 880 G Motherboard. Has the ATI Radeon HD 4250 integrated.

I'm using the stock Windows drivers. I'll try getting ATI drivers.

I thought it was a rip issue because I only get the jittery video on ripped files. Any other video files created in any other way at any other resolution run smooth.

m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2011 2:40:41 PM

What speed are you recording the Rips to the DVD at (and does the problem happen if playing back on another machine or just your system ?) -- could be that you just need to record at a slightly slower speed to avoid the issue - try recording at a slower speed and see if things work better.
m
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
January 1, 2011 3:33:19 PM

Definitely update your drivers. That will help. The 4250 is capable of decent playback. Also, as JDFan suggests, if you are pumping a slightly lower resolution video file, your system doesn't have to work as hard to play it. Good luck!
m
l
January 1, 2011 9:52:58 PM

I've tried installing ATI drivers and ripping at TV (640x426) and MOBILE (320x214) settings, and still get the skipping.

...hmmm...
m
l
January 1, 2011 10:50:57 PM

That X3 CPU and integrated GPU should be able to play h.264 or 1080p flash without a single bit of problems. I have a Athlon ii x2 and an 8200m and played 1080P Youtube vids all day within Linux so it must be a driver issue. What software are you using to play the videos? Have you enabled all of the video acceleration features within your video playback software? Try VLC with hardware accel enabled using DirectX if you haven't already.
m
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
January 1, 2011 10:51:31 PM

thegibson said:
I've tried installing ATI drivers and ripping at TV (640x426) and MOBILE (320x214) settings, and still get the skipping.

...hmmm...

Did you successfully install Catalyst Suite 10.12?
m
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
January 1, 2011 10:54:03 PM

shuffman37 said:
That X3 CPU and integrated GPU should be able to play h.264 or 1080p flash without a single bit of problems. I have a Athlon ii x2 and an 8200m and played 1080P Youtube vids all day within Linux so it must be a driver issue. What software are you using to play the videos? Have you enabled all of the video acceleration features within your video playback software? Try VLC with hardware accel enabled using DirectX if you haven't already.

This is a good suggestion. Make sure you install VLC 1.1.5 or higher (get it here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html). The other settings suggested should already be enabled unless you disabled them.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2011 1:44:05 AM

Have you tried playing the burned DVDs in another system ? -- I'm more prone to think the problem lies in the copy on the DVD (perhaps burning at a speed to high for the system to burn properly or having too many things running in the background while burning) rather than a problem with playback on the system.
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
January 2, 2011 1:55:05 AM

What model burner/optical drive and hard drive. A slow burner and a slow hard drive on top of other problems can amount to very frustrating issues such as this.
m
l
January 9, 2011 2:47:15 AM

Hmmmm... ripped my son's copy of Thomas the Train and it plays back no problem. Smooth as glass. Ripped his Finding Nemo and it stutters and drops frames during playback (streaming and on the local machine).

Still working on it.

[Shuffman: Currently using newest VLC player for all playback. COLGeek: I did not install the entire Suite, just the display drivers. Due to the the playback I've described above I don't think the entire Suite will help.]
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2011 2:55:55 AM

Use a different ripping program.
Try DvdFab.
It is free to download and has a trial period for all features.
Rip main movie and use generic avi setting under mobile and have it burn to an output folder instead of disc.
Also like DvdFlick for encoding/burning to disk (free is good)
Also Handbrake (again free) is a great pieco of software.
Also if your into a/v Format Factory (free) is decent.
Also for recording streaming video (netflix etc) from web TuneBite (costs) is
awesome.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2011 3:03:42 AM

Also what codec package are you using?
I like K-Lite Mega Codecs.
m
l
!