Mix 2 different RAM (but works - sometimes BSOD) is okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

varthshenon

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Untitled-7.jpg

Should I remove the 1gb?
Because after some research with google, people says that it's bad to mix 2 different RAM.

Solution
Check the heatsink if it is attach correctly. Its HS problem. Did you check ram individually? Default setting solve problem in most case. Set memory multiplier to auto.

varthshenon

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Windows won't start after I set it to 800, get BSOD just after the loading screen.
Is it showing 357mhz because I'm turning on SpeedStep?

It's random. But I think it's happen if I turn on my computer longer than 10 hours (is that bad? D: )
And the CPU freq. is 266 by default.

Uh, no first of all, you are trying to set 800mhz ram to 1600mhz which it wont allow, so since its double pumped you need to set it to 400 in the bios (400x2=)

Also make sure your timings are fine.

if that still gives you BSODs then try loosening up the timings (higher is looser) make sure they are all the same timing

varthshenon

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Oh I get it. But there's no 400 in BIOS setting. Only 677 (CMIIW) and 800. I guess I'll stick with the default.
Btw the DRAM freq. is changed to 361.1Mhz now and keep changing, what's wrong?
Is it because SpeedStep as I mentioned before?

varthshenon

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Well I oc my cpu to 320Mhz. The DRAM freq. changed to 400.4Mhz. But my cpu temp. is like 100-102c while running PES 2012. Is that okay?

I've just test it with default freq. (266Mhz) and it's still at 99-102c.
Will it blow up or something?

varthshenon

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
I just change the FSB from 266 to 320.
CPU voltage at around 1.200v in cpu-z.
I did change it to default, but it's still at around 100c. I never knew this before I get core temp.
Is it the motherboard or the HS problem?
I'm using local (ugly) motherboard.

No its not ok, you are looking for at max for it to be around 65-70c, max. look up some guide on how to reapply thermal paste (you did reapply it, right?) remember use a pea sized drop in the middle of the cpu and no reusing thermal paste that was already on there is not ok.

(clean off your old thermal paste with a coffee filter first)

also if your HS is a bit dusty, clean it.

varthshenon

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

Yeah I didn't know that the silver thing on the CPU was the old thermal paste. And I spread the paste all over the CPU with my hand. I think I'll reapply again tomorrow and see how much it work.

It's oc. From 266Mhz to 320Mhz.

varthshenon

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

But my RAM is 800Mhz (Means 400Mhz each) and my FSB is still under 400Mhz.

:/ I don't really know how to explain this one... uhmmm, but basically as you raise the fsb the ram must run at a higher speed, now normally this is done you HAVE to underclock the ram so as to not allow the ram to run higher then what its rated for

basically its what your ram is set and plus whatever your FSB is set at is the true speed your ram is trying to run (guys im kinda limited in my knowledge at fsb/ram ratios so if anyone has the formula please tell me :D )

mubin

Distinguished
You dont need to match your memory speed. Can you tell me what is your cpu fsb in cpu-z? I see from the picture above, that your fsb : dram = 4:5 adn dram frequency is 357. That means your cpu fsb is 285.6.(285.6:357 = 4:5) This is the ratio if i am not mistaken.

So i think there is wrong clock setting in bios. Load everything to default from bios or remove and insert mobo battery again which will set every thing to optimize default. Try and replay me.

Status
Not open for further replies.